Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. It has been quite some time since i have visited. Still be suffering but decided to suffere silentely for a little while. Why? I am not quite sure. I tried Digestive Advantage for IBS for about 2 months and did not have any significant impovement. Anyway, over the past week my IBS has gotten more sever. More frequent trips to the bathroom with more intense D. I am also very nausious when i have my flare ups. The nausea has been around for about the last three months. Doctors are not offering much help for it. Anyway, does anyone else experience this? I rarely throw up during these episodes but i also wont say that it has never happened. I have made a food journal, and i have not discovered any significant patterns. If you all do have this experience, how do you deal with it? How do you deal with the feelings of helplessness when you are sitting on the toilet while holding a trashcan in front of you? How do you ease the nausea? I have tried pepto, makes it worse and i drink peppermint treat and eat ginger candy. I dont know what to do anymore. Any help would be useful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Too much peppermint can actually cause a laxative effect. I'm sorry to hear you are suffering so badly. Mine seems to be easing, the more I talk to people about it. Which might help you, if the doctor isn't taking you seriously keep swapping doctors until one does. The doctor I first saw was rubbish, I actually went to him and told him that I had IBS because he couldn't seem to come up with a diagnosis - he agreed with me. I recently referred myself to a dietician. I haven't thrown up whilst having it but do feel sick alot of the time. I've stopped feeling helpless because my boyfriend - who suffers worse IBS then me - doesn't seem bothered by it. He's been inspirational to me - he literally just gets on with it. I suppose it's because he's had it since he was 11. His advice to me was - if you need a poo just go to the toilet. Why are you crying over poo? - it was a good question really. Why do we get so upset about needing a poo? Do we cry when we're hungry? No we, eat some food. So why get so upset over this? It's a natural bodily function, and whilst uncomfortable is not life threatening. You do need to get to the docs though to check it's nothing more serious. If it isn't, don't let it get you down. I know a lady who I used to work with who had it for years, then, it disappeared. No miracle cure, no drugs, it just went. Everyone who has it seems to think they'll have it forever - but I don't believe that. Anyway - get to the doctors and I'm sorry for rambling on a bit!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm wondering if you might have some specific food intolerances. Foods contain a variety of chemicals and sugars. The common ones are LACTOSE, FRUCTOSE, and PRESERVATIVES. The not so commonly known ones are AMINES and SALICYLATES.Peppermint tea has a high level of salicylates. Almonds also are high in salicylates. Please google "salicylates" to see if any of the foods you have diarised (apart from the peppermint) fall within the groups mentioned above.Jackmat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.