Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was anyone else here with IBS-D who was overweight? (More than 50 lbs) I've always wondered how I could have such a weight problem as often as I run to the bathroom. I'm especially interested to know if there is a definite list of remedies to avoid when I absolutely cannot gain any weight. In fact, I'm must lose. Thanks.------------------The only way to really change is simple choices everyday.stannaw

·
Registered
197 Posts
You are not alone. I am overweight and IBS-D. Although I have been sympton free for quite a few months. Even at my sickest, where i went 3 months living on water alone. I lost only 15 pounds. Which came back when I started keeping food in. Sorry I have no remedies though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You are not alone. I am overweight and IBS-D. Although I have been sympton free for quite a few months. Even at my sickest, where i went 3 months living on water alone. I lost only 15 pounds. Which came back when I started keeping food in. Sorry I have no remedies though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could try a diet which limits carbohydrates, there are several of those about, like the Atkins diet which is quietesevere in the beginning, or the Zone diet which is a bit more moderate from the start. Taking calcium and limiting carbohydrates(bread,pasta,rice,sugar,fruits with much fructose, starchy vegetables) seems to help me with controlling the IBS-D, there's also less bloating and gas, and I'm loosing some weight, but in a very slow way ( which is good because I'm slightly overweight). Gentle exercises are suppossed to be good for both loosing weight and the IBS too.Hope you'll find something that works for you,Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could try a diet which limits carbohydrates, there are several of those about, like the Atkins diet which is quietesevere in the beginning, or the Zone diet which is a bit more moderate from the start. Taking calcium and limiting carbohydrates(bread,pasta,rice,sugar,fruits with much fructose, starchy vegetables) seems to help me with controlling the IBS-D, there's also less bloating and gas, and I'm loosing some weight, but in a very slow way ( which is good because I'm slightly overweight). Gentle exercises are suppossed to be good for both loosing weight and the IBS too.Hope you'll find something that works for you,Fay

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi. I also feel I have to lose weight for health reasons. What I have decided to do is to cut down on salty foods, fats, frozen dinners, and some take-out fast foods. I only eat fruits and vegetables that I really like. I know you know how to lose weight but the main problem is to keep it off. So it is best to go slow. Don't try any of the popular diets because after you lose the weight you will go back to your old weight.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi. I also feel I have to lose weight for health reasons. What I have decided to do is to cut down on salty foods, fats, frozen dinners, and some take-out fast foods. I only eat fruits and vegetables that I really like. I know you know how to lose weight but the main problem is to keep it off. So it is best to go slow. Don't try any of the popular diets because after you lose the weight you will go back to your old weight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi guys...I'm IBS-D and I was 70 pounds overweight because of it.It can come off. And you can do it around your food triggers, if you have them. The trick is to find a HEALTHY way to drop it and stick with it. I've found that walking and yoga are the two best excercises for me, and I joined weight watchers, and that program also worked for me. I've lost 34 pounds so far.
weight watchers worked because I decide what I eat and when I eat...I just count the points. But no, I don't work for them, get paid by them or whatever. Just letting you know.------------------RhetanaIBS D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi guys...I'm IBS-D and I was 70 pounds overweight because of it.It can come off. And you can do it around your food triggers, if you have them. The trick is to find a HEALTHY way to drop it and stick with it. I've found that walking and yoga are the two best excercises for me, and I joined weight watchers, and that program also worked for me. I've lost 34 pounds so far.
weight watchers worked because I decide what I eat and when I eat...I just count the points. But no, I don't work for them, get paid by them or whatever. Just letting you know.------------------RhetanaIBS D

G

·
I limit my carbs to fruits and veggies and eat lean protein. I lost 10 lbs. a year ago and have managed to keep it off, plus - I no longer have D! I walk every other day and do Pilates in between. I'm 5'9", 60 years old and wear a size eight. Weight Watchers is very good too. There really is not magic - less food, more exercise.Good luck,Carlene

G

·
I limit my carbs to fruits and veggies and eat lean protein. I lost 10 lbs. a year ago and have managed to keep it off, plus - I no longer have D! I walk every other day and do Pilates in between. I'm 5'9", 60 years old and wear a size eight. Weight Watchers is very good too. There really is not magic - less food, more exercise.Good luck,Carlene

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone here is so supportive. I am so glad that I found this BB. Thanks so much for your replies. Wish me luck!------------------The only way to really change is simple choices everyday.stannaw

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone here is so supportive. I am so glad that I found this BB. Thanks so much for your replies. Wish me luck!------------------The only way to really change is simple choices everyday.stannaw

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have IBS-D and am quite overweight (about 70 pounds) and can't seem to lose. I drop a couple of pounds and it's right back on in the next day or two. It's very frustrating because I have cut out red meat and dairy products, and most veggies make me sick, and I don't care much for fruit, so what am I left with... rice, potatoes, and chicken/tuna/turkey. It seems very counter-intuitive that one who has constant D would not lose weight, but I truly believe there is a connection. I walk every single day and do yoga a few days a week. I am doing weight watchers and staying under 1500 dalories a day. No luck; keep taking off and putting back on the same 2 to 5 pounds. And feeling very sick all the while.Too bad doctors think it's just laziness and overeating. That's the most frustrating thing of all for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have IBS-D and am quite overweight (about 70 pounds) and can't seem to lose. I drop a couple of pounds and it's right back on in the next day or two. It's very frustrating because I have cut out red meat and dairy products, and most veggies make me sick, and I don't care much for fruit, so what am I left with... rice, potatoes, and chicken/tuna/turkey. It seems very counter-intuitive that one who has constant D would not lose weight, but I truly believe there is a connection. I walk every single day and do yoga a few days a week. I am doing weight watchers and staying under 1500 dalories a day. No luck; keep taking off and putting back on the same 2 to 5 pounds. And feeling very sick all the while.Too bad doctors think it's just laziness and overeating. That's the most frustrating thing of all for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lexnike, I can commiserate, there. i found that while I was on ww, if I had a D attack, I gained weight. It became frustrating. I'd recommend getting the D under control first, before worrying about the weight as much. I also found that I had to up my calorie intake above the recommended ww on days I had an attack. So, if there was a day I had D, I added about 500 calories to my day. The wonderful thing about ww is that you CAN adjust for your needs. Experiment a bit. Believe it or not, staying under the 1500 calories might be the problem...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lexnike, I can commiserate, there. i found that while I was on ww, if I had a D attack, I gained weight. It became frustrating. I'd recommend getting the D under control first, before worrying about the weight as much. I also found that I had to up my calorie intake above the recommended ww on days I had an attack. So, if there was a day I had D, I added about 500 calories to my day. The wonderful thing about ww is that you CAN adjust for your needs. Experiment a bit. Believe it or not, staying under the 1500 calories might be the problem...

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree with Rhetana. If you eat too little, your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to every little calorie. My mom is overweight with IBS-D, and I think her problem is that she eats very little during the day and eats a huge meal at night, giving her way too many calories. She is trying to change that now. I switched to eating 6 small meals a day, and it helped my IBS-D and I lost 60 pounds. I do a little yoga, and eat 100-400 calories at a time. I did a little psychological adjustment too, decided to "eat to live" rather than "live to eat." Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and love good food. But I no longer think it is my sacred right to have big meals, desserts, foods I shouldn't eat anyway. I put my health first, treats second. If I am eating applesauce for a snack and I am sick of applesauce, I think of all the people without food, and how they would never complain about having "just" applesauce. Sounds corny, I know, but for me it worked.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.