Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ibsgroup,

Over the past few months I've been having symptoms of IBS-D. I've seen a doctor and ruled out many food/diet concerns and have been making progress in recovering thanks to the use of Fibercon and Hyoscyamine (I used to have diarrhea every 45 minutes, now I have solid stool). Still though, I am having issues with how frequently I have to go. Every morning I wake up and within a few minutes I have to go. By 11 AM I have usually gone 4 or 5 times and that's usually it for the rest of the day. This wouldn't be a huge problem if I wasn't going to be a ski instructor this year, as I have to be at the mountain ready to teach by 8:15 AM, without a break until almost Noon.

My question is if anyone has any recommendations on how I could cut these 4 or 5 bowel moments down to 1 or 2. I would generally describe what I have as incomplete movements, as they are often small and do not resemble what a normal bowel movement should look like. What I need the most is regularity. If anyone can help me out any way it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Skier17

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take Imodium before you go to sleep.
How much should I take? I'm a little hesitant to start relying to heavily on Imodium because what I have isn't really diarrhea, it is solid (although it did start off as diarrhea). My problem is that it happens too frequently.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Skier17,

The reason Immodium (loperamide) works isn't because it specifically "cures" diarrhea, it's because it slows motility. It's the fact that your poop is staying inside longer, thereby allowing your colon enough time to remove water, that ends up helping with diarrhea.

In your case, even though you're not having diarrhea, it sounds like you're still looking for slower motility, as that should reduce bowel movements.

You'll have to experiment to know how much you should take. Before I went on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I had a lot of success with 1mg (half a tablet) twice a day. I suggest you start with 1mg at bedtime; if that's not doing the trick after 2 or 3 days, up it to 1mg twice a day; after that, 2mg at night and 1mg in the morning; etc.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
842 Posts
How much should I take? I'm a little hesitant to start relying to heavily on Imodium because what I have isn't really diarrhea, it is solid (although it did start off as diarrhea). My problem is that it happens too frequently.
The time is now to experiment. Imodium does not have any known long term health risks at such low doses and you're only going to take it during ski season anyways. I would just take 1 tablet at night when you go to sleep. See how you feel. You should still be able to go in the morning but hopefully just once or twice so you can attend your ski instruction. If 1 tablet doesn't work, try two. You can also start with 1/2 a tablet and work up from there at 1/2 tablet increments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts