Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have chronic IBS-D and I take Bentl 10 mg 2 x a day and Lomotil 2 x a day. I also take 75 mg of Effexor XR for anxiety.I have gained about 15 lbs. because I craved food, especially sweets all the time. I don't know which med made this happen and I looked them all up and none have the side effect of weight gain. Last week I really bit the bullet and said enough is enough and cut out all sweets, drank tons of water and hardly a carb touched my lips. Well today was weigh day and guess what--I didn't lose an ounce. I had not expected to lose a bunch, but at least a pound would have been nice.Any eating advice? I cannot eat salad at all, most veggies do me in and of course no fatty sauces. I am really upset about this and hope that some of you may have had some success at removing some of these unwanted pounds. Also, I had a huge "D" attack yesterday from a very stressful situation and if I had not had that, when I got on the scale today, I probably would have gained weight.Thanx!!!

·
Banned
78 Posts
Gosh Char, I have no idea! Are you female? If so, are you going through menopause? I noticed after the "change" that I gain weight much more easily, and it is harder to take off.I guess the metabolism slows down?I also take Lomotil(When necessary) and it has been a miracle drug for me...but, I do notice a craving for sugar when I take it, and that is an issue for me since I'm diabetic.I basically live on a modified version of the Atkins diet; little to no carbs, no raw fruit or vegetables, except small salds (with LOTS of garlic and only olive oil).The only way to increase metabolism is to build more muscle, and the only way to do that is bylifting weights. I walk a lot too, but I also work on my "Total Gym" to keep muscles toned. When I have stopped the weight work out, when I've had a bad flare up, I have noticed that I begin to gain weight. I'm 5'7", and currently weigh 153 lbs. By today's standards, I think I'm "Fat", but I don't feel or look fat, and am happy and comfortable where I'm at.If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. Good luck!Luilu

·
Registered
389 Posts
OMG. You are not fat by today's atandards. Do not measure yourself with the model measuring stick. We are not all heroine addicted bean poles! Thats my rant. Anyway, the main mode these days to determine healthy weight is the BMI, and according to that, you ould be in the normal range. Type in BMI in a search engine and you can probably find a calculator to use. Personally, I think we should focus more on feeling well than lookinf PERFECT. I myself lost a fair bit of weight when I underwent surgery and my IBS D flared up. I recently got back into my workouts and eating more, because I can (yay) and put 5 poundsback on. I am glad for this because NOW I am more healthy than i was. Weight loss, the right way (the way you lose it and keep it off) takes a lot of time and hard work. I think it takes a loss of like 3000 calories to lose 1 pound. So be patient with yourself.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You may be having dificulties if you have IBS D. A body can sometimes think it should go into "starvation mode"; not knowing when or if the next meal will stay with it long enough to glean all the nutrients it needs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I weigh 174, am 5'8" and 58 years old. I look really good at 160 and that's where I want to be, but no matter what I do, I can't lose an ounce.This is very annoying as I am faithful and watchful in my diet. Of course, I can't eat things that would help--salad is out as well as most veggies, fruits, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem! No matter what i have tried in the last few years i slowly keep putting on weight. I can't eat salads and many other vegies (esp raw). I try to avoid all leafy vegies as they just make my D worse. I even hired a personal trainer (at great expense which i couldn't keep up) i lost a couple of kilos but then had a bad D spell and put it all back on!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.