Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with IBS since I was born. I am now 32. I was born with a birth defect called an imperferated anus. The doctor told my mom I would have problems all my life. So I never tried to talk to doctors about my elimination problems until I was an adult. I don't seem to have any trigger foods. Just the action of eating seems to trigger it. Like everyone else, I have good days and bad days, but this year I was diagnosed insulin resistant/borderline diabetic. Now I have to make sure I eat 3 times a day. Before, if I was having a bad day, I could postpone eating until I knew I was going to be somewhere I could get to the bathroom in a hurry. But now... I don't know what to do. I've tried talking to doctors for the last 12 years, but they all treated it like it wasn't something they should bother with. The one that finally diagnosed me made me feel like there was nothing he could do for me and I would just have to deal with it. I'm a full time mother and college student. I don't have time to just deal with it! I have started to notice small signals my body sends when I'm eating telling me I had better stop or I'm going to have to stay near the bathroom for the next 2 hours. But I don't always get those signals. Sometimes I wake up in the morning nausaous or I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach. On those days, I know I'ld better not eat anything until sometime in the afternoon. But like I said. I'm now borderline diabetic. If I don't eat, I run the risk of becoming full blown diabetic. I am on medication for diabetes and high bloodpressure, but I have to eat soon after taking them. So as you can imagine, timing can be a challenge. No doctor has ever suggested any type of medication to help with the symptoms. A nutritionist suggested staying away from high fiber foods, but fiber caplets help a little. Is anyone else dealing with a situation similar to mine? How do you deal with it? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my doctor to take this more seriously? This is really affecting my life and self esteem. I'm afraid that after I'm done with college, I'll be to afraid to get a job. I've had jobs before and my IBS has affected my ability to do those jobs. All I want to do anymore is stay home. I love being with people and doing things, but it's so hard when you are constantly making sure where the bathroom is and how far away I am from it. I have a wonderful supportive family, but they haven't a clue what I go through. This affects my willingness to go on my kids field trips, or other activities. I'm too afraid of embarassing them. They have never said anything about me embarrassing them, but I remember what it was like for me as a child dealing with this, and I don't want them to have to deal with that. Sorry this is so long, but I have been keeping this in for so long, and have not had anyone to talk to who undestands. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks all for listening.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I do not have diabetes, although it runs in my family. (My mother had it and my brother currently does.) One thing I attribute my still healthy situation to is a vitamin/mineral supplement that seems to affect blood sugar levels. If you would be interested in trying them for a couple of months and then haviing another blood sugar test to see if they work for you, drop me a line.Markmsprgue2002###yahoo.ca

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.