Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have ibs-d and intolerant to dairy and wheat/gluten. What a life i have...i can tolerate small amounts of cheese. so i had dominoes pizza over 2 days on the weekend. on sunday at 5am i woke up with a STRONG ibs-d attack. went straight to toilet. after that, i have stayed clear of dairy/gluten but i have had diarrhoea and feel a bit gassy.any ideas on what i can take to help??

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well are the wheat/dairy intolerances diagnosed via testing or just something you noticed were triggers?What can you take?? Um.. how about some anti-gas stuff and imodium (or whatever your antidiarrheal med of choice is)??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has your IBS been officially diagnosed? How about the lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance? If you are lactose intolerant, you might want to try taking lactaid prior to eating food that contains dairy, but I don't believe lactaid will help your symptoms now. Right now, pretty much all you can do is wait it out, possibly with the help of anti-gas and anti-diarrhea medications. Are you currently on any prescription medications for IBS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, i do not have any dairy besides pizza the odd time (once every few months).im really bad with wholemeal/brown bread, pasta, flour etc. white isnt as bad. i think its the gluten in it.my doc said i had ibs. at the moment my ibs seems to have become worse since the weekend when i had the pizzas.i bought some calcium with vit D tablets form boots, but they not working that well.i might try some peppermint oil tabs, and get some ibs tablets as back up

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well there IS gluten in white bread too... so I doubt it is that. Might just be that pizza or that combination of ingredients don't sit well with you. So.. I would just skip eating them for now and see if your symptoms improve???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess i will have to do another elimination diet.remove items like fats in my diet, and test them 1 by 1.btw, i do not have any gluten or dairy now but my ibs and attacks are still present. im going to town later to buy some ibs relief tablets.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you really have celiac disease it isn't you just have symptoms when you have the food and they go away the moment it is out of the small intestine. The reaction to gluten causes damage and until that heals back up you will have symptoms. So eating wheat may cause symptoms for a lot more than a day or two.Now with IBS you can also find that once something flares it up, the flare lasts for awhile. Once you have the system in a uproar it can take awhile for everything to get settled back down.Also not all IBS symptoms are from food triggers. If you have any other triggers those can sometimes be what is causing the problem, not the food. A lot of people get into some pretty bad diets trying to control the IBS when they may be sensitive to their quality of sleep or some other thing. Food always seems to get the blame.With Fat/Oil usually it is more the number of grams total than if you got it from olive oil vs dairy fat vs any other oil. So you may need to watch the total number of grams more than which particular oil it is. All fats will increase the gastro-colic reflex more than lean foods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts