Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,My doctors believe that I have IBS and after reading many, many posts on this forum, it appears so. I'm only 19 and for the past 4 years I can recall heavy symptoms. However, it appears to go in "cycles". While I was attending school, it acted up and was at it's peak. During extended breaks the symptoms apparently stopped. Then I would go back to school and they would be back. Does this sound familiar for anyone? It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't seem to have it to the extent that some have. It can vary from being frequent one day, to just one or two urgent bath breaks the next day. Then if it's a day where I'm around the house, it will virtually be gone.I've just began Buspirone today for anxiety, hoping that would improve my stomach issues. I intend to fix my diet because I want to lessen the symptoms as much as possible. I will continue to look around the site, but any links you've found helpful would be great.Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello,My doctors believe that I have IBS and after reading many, many posts on this forum, it appears so. I'm only 19 and for the past 4 years I can recall heavy symptoms. However, it appears to go in "cycles". While I was attending school, it acted up and was at it's peak. During extended breaks the symptoms apparently stopped. Then I would go back to school and they would be back. Does this sound familiar for anyone? It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't seem to have it to the extent that some have. It can vary from being frequent one day, to just one or two urgent bath breaks the next day. Then if it's a day where I'm around the house, it will virtually be gone.I've just began Buspirone today for anxiety, hoping that would improve my stomach issues. I intend to fix my diet because I want to lessen the symptoms as much as possible. I will continue to look around the site, but any links you've found helpful would be great.Thanks.
For me, IBS-D seems to be at worst in the mornings. And on school days, you wake up pretty early.During the summer, I woke up many hours later then normal. So the D attacks are much easier on me. Let's not forget home is free of stress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it odd that what I eat doesn't APPEAR to have an effect? As in, I could eat one thing today and get sick, but eat it the next day and be fine.And if it's relevant, I do know that I was testing positive for Jaundice, had low bilirubin, and low t-cells. Also pretty prevalent fatigue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Willis52, All sounds too familiar, my IBS is very cyclical so sadly it means i try something new, I feel better and then a few weeks later back to square one.As for diet I cut out everything, was on a rice and fish diet/ boiled chicken. idea is eat nothing and then slowly bring things back to find out what is causing issues, but my IBS never went away, presumed from that it wasnt food related but yet when I went to eat certain foods it was worse, so although cutting out the triggers didnt make me better having milk, excessive fat, mayo (no idea why all the ingrediants I am fine with), cocoa, soups, fruit and veg all cause me issues.If school causes you the most issues then stress is most likely your biggest issue, even if you personally are not stressed/ dont feel stressed your body might still be feeling the effects so try to read the posts on here of people who have that issue, anti anxiety and anti depressants might be the best way to go. I have heard a lot of people get relief from valium but its not something I would want to be on long term and not while studying for certain so its better looking for something you can take without too many sideeffects. I take amAmitriptyline which is a low dose anti depressant, no side effects appart from the worst dry mouth you will ever get, my mum is on an anti anxiety med that helps he but sadly I dont remember the name. keep experimenting and good luck

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS tends to come and go. Some people find that when they are working or in school they tend to have a bit more stress than when they are on break/vacation. Physical stress levels (are you getting more or less sleep, for instance) as well as mental stress levels can effect IBS.

·
Registered
307 Posts
As earlier posters has stated stress can affect IBS-D.And I can myself verify that if I get up early in the morning my D will be worse.So therefor it is often worse on school/work -days.Can be solved by going up the exact same time each day. Atleast then you will have consistency each day.Getting in bed in time could also be a factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem with fixing my diet, is that I haven't noticed anything that specifically causes is. Half the time I don't even have to eat for it to act up.Has anyone considered Adrenal problems? I have fatigue problems in the morning and midday (if i lift weights or sports, i will yawn most of the time). Whether I get 6 hours, 8 hours, or 10 hours I will not feel refreshed in the morning. I tested positive for virtually every environmental allergy you can. When winter comes around, I can guarantee at least one severe flu or cold to hit me and keep me down for a few weeks. Dizziness upon standing on occasion, not always.The problem is that the same symptoms for IBS could very well be ones for other things. The thing that confuses me is if I have IBS, why would I test positive for Jaundice, have low t-cells/bilirubin/white blood cells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problems. It doesnt matter how little or much sleep i get, i still want more, and i get dizzy when i stand up as well, i just dont know if it has anything to do with IBS? but i always seem to be ill though, i dont know.im 18 and i was diagnosed with it when i was really young (6/7) and i havent been hospital/doctor since then, im too embarressed. I was thinking about going in a few weeks, but at the moment im sorta dealing with it. sometimes certain foods affect it, other days they wont, do you have any suggestions for foods that i should cut out? i just want it to stop or at least reduce the attacks. Im really worried that during an exam ill have an attack, its my worst nightmare.Are there any over the counter medicines you know of that may help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.