Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, after suffering for more than 20yrs i have a formal diagnoises of IBS-D. In the past i have tried anti-spasmodics(Buscopan/mebrevene), codeine, and peppermint oil with very no or adverse results. i have now been prescribed 10mg amitriptyline aday and was wondering if others have found this successful. i suffer D,some bloating and pain in my lower back and abdomin. my consultant has also said it will either work or not, no inbetweens? Can anyone share their experiences of this drug and what to expect?thank you

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Works well for some, not for others.Tends to be more for pain and urgency rather than just stop up the diarrhea, but it is mildly constipating.I don't know if many people report it is only 10% effective or 45% or anything like that. It tends to be either pretty effective (substantially reduces symptoms) for people or doesn't do enough to be worth taking. But that is pretty much true of everything else you have taken. Some people really find every single thing you mentioned quite effective or will say it is totally worthless. Not much well it barely helps enough I might keep taking it anyway. Although sometimes people will need to do a couple of "it does a little something" things in combination to get good control. For example. Avoiding fatty foods may only help a little and a med may help pretty well, but not if you eat a big greasy meal so people will both adjust the diet and take the med to get good control.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I tried Amitriptyline last year for pain,but my Doctor did not tell me it can constipate you,last thing i needed!You think she would have thought about that before prescribing it to me!Hope it helps you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm currently on amitriptyline 25mg a day. I have been prescribed 75 mg (3 tablets a day) in the beginning, but found out myself that 1 tablet before going to bed is fine as well and doesn't cause a dizzy and sleepy side effects. I still have problems with my D and mucus and I'm not cured, but it helps me with around 75% of the problems and at least I can manage that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have IBS-D and tried amitryptaline 25mg for 3 months. For the first 2 it was helpful with the diarrhea (and pain, yes) and then the 3rd month it stopped working (which happens with most meds I try). I did up the dosage, but it still didn't help anymore. The Tricyclic antidepressants like amitryptaline, are known to have the tendency to constipate (though at much higher dosages, as reported when people take them for depression) and the SSRI's tend to do the opposite. Most IBS'ers though are taking lower dosings. All this to say, as we all know, to each her/his own. Some things work for one but not for another person. Good luck with the new med!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.