Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting really angry lately in my work relationships with people who seem to have no idea what it is like to suffer from chronic diarrhea. I'm sure that you all know about the kind of people that I am talking about. These are the kind of people who can last four days at a time without having a bowel movement (sorry, I refuse to say "go to the bathroom" in this forum) without experiencing any pain in the abdomen. These people tend to be repressed, insecure, and intensely fecaphobic. They cringe at the mention of the following words: diarrhea, constipation, stool, feces, and excrement. The use of non-clinical words related to feces makes them revulse in terror. These people have the luxury of choosing to never have a bowel movement in a public restroom. They may have other problems like headaches, but they are never late for an appointment and never miss work because of bowel problems unless the get "an intestinal flu" once a year or so. Many of these people are professionals who are poised and never show any indication of physical pain or discomfort to anyone. They also have a low tolerance for the type of person who would complain about having abdominal pain. The repressed fecaphobic person actually has the ability to have bowel movements on an appointment basis--preferably when there is not a single other person in their dwelling who can hear or smell evidence of their indelicate body function.I want to give these people a dose of laxative like the kind that would be administered to a constipated horse in a large animal veterinary hospital. I want to see such a person experience the kind of helplessness and the debilitating pain that many IBS sufferers experience several times a week. It might cure them of their repression and insensitivity--well, temporarily at least.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I totally agree with you. Yes, they have the CHOICE of when to have a BM. I have heard people say "how can you use a public bathroom?". It gets on my nerves, but I usually respond with the telling them that it is not what I would prefer, but I have to.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I totally agree with you. Yes, they have the CHOICE of when to have a BM. I have heard people say "how can you use a public bathroom?". It gets on my nerves, but I usually respond with the telling them that it is not what I would prefer, but I have to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi! Try not to get mad at these people. I had IBS-D all my life, over 40 years and I get the same lame advice or stupid remarks from people (friends, family and co-workers). The only time they finally understand and relize what we go through is when they have one bad experiance of not being able to find a bathroom in time.Even after all these years I still would not wish this on my worse enemy.Hang in there. ------------------Keep your Spirits up!William

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi! Try not to get mad at these people. I had IBS-D all my life, over 40 years and I get the same lame advice or stupid remarks from people (friends, family and co-workers). The only time they finally understand and relize what we go through is when they have one bad experiance of not being able to find a bathroom in time.Even after all these years I still would not wish this on my worse enemy.Hang in there. ------------------Keep your Spirits up!William

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree, Zayaka. The most irritating remark for me is heard when I am on a long car trip and I tell the driver I need for him to take an exit so I can use a restroom. A driver might say, "Why didn't you go to the bathroom before we left or at the place we stopped at an hour ago?" It's not like I can give my bowels an order and expect something to come out.[This message has been edited by Andy M (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to agree, Zayaka. The most irritating remark for me is heard when I am on a long car trip and I tell the driver I need for him to take an exit so I can use a restroom. A driver might say, "Why didn't you go to the bathroom before we left or at the place we stopped at an hour ago?" It's not like I can give my bowels an order and expect something to come out.[This message has been edited by Andy M (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
William,I feel obliged to clarify something. Like you, I wouldn't wish for anyone to have IBS, since it is a disease a person has for the rest of his life. I only meant to say that I wish that some insensitive person would have a really bad day like an IBS sufferer would experience --complete with loose stools, a terrible urgency to go, abdominal pain, flatulence, and the raw, burning rectum one experiences after having to go for the fifth time in a particular day.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
William,I feel obliged to clarify something. Like you, I wouldn't wish for anyone to have IBS, since it is a disease a person has for the rest of his life. I only meant to say that I wish that some insensitive person would have a really bad day like an IBS sufferer would experience --complete with loose stools, a terrible urgency to go, abdominal pain, flatulence, and the raw, burning rectum one experiences after having to go for the fifth time in a particular day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is unbelievable that we are forced to explain why we did not go before we left.They just don't relize that we are not fortunate enough to have control over our own bowel movements.It is embarrassing enough that we have this problem. But than we have to explain it with strangers.------------------Keep your Spirits up!William

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is unbelievable that we are forced to explain why we did not go before we left.They just don't relize that we are not fortunate enough to have control over our own bowel movements.It is embarrassing enough that we have this problem. But than we have to explain it with strangers.------------------Keep your Spirits up!William

G

·
Andy,That's why I drive. Always. No exceptions. I've had too many people think I'm nuts about needing to stop on the road, or tell me, "You can hold it, it's only another half hour."

G

·
Andy,That's why I drive. Always. No exceptions. I've had too many people think I'm nuts about needing to stop on the road, or tell me, "You can hold it, it's only another half hour."

·
Registered
693 Posts
The people who get intestinal flu once a year and then tell me they know just what I'm going through drive me crazy. They don't get that it is constant and doesn't go away in a few days. The fact that I never know when it is going to hit or for how long or how sick I will be is just as difficult as the physical part.It is with me always. Not because I let it.Because it is the way my body functions. Poorly. There is no control issue here. I wish these judgemental people would keep their opinions to themselves.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The people who get intestinal flu once a year and then tell me they know just what I'm going through drive me crazy. They don't get that it is constant and doesn't go away in a few days. The fact that I never know when it is going to hit or for how long or how sick I will be is just as difficult as the physical part.It is with me always. Not because I let it.Because it is the way my body functions. Poorly. There is no control issue here. I wish these judgemental people would keep their opinions to themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts