Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,I have suffered from IBS-D almost for as long as I can remember. I am 53 years old. But this worsened over last 5 years. Out of this i was in New York for three years. Symptoms: I rarely have severe dairhhea. I usually have unformed stools in the morning and then after breakfast I would have loose stools. This continued on an intermittent basis for many years but became more frequent over last 5 years. I am a thin person but I lost subtantial weight over this period. I was prescribed the following medicines at various points. In India I was being teated by a Gastroenterologist and in New York, my PC treated me trying various medicinesImmodiumLibraxLevbidColospa(mebeverine hydrochloride)- helped to some extent. I became hagard and looked much older than my age. I was not able to sleep well due to stomach discomfort. I also started belching and lot of gas was forming in my intestines. I also developed acid-reflux symptoms like choking sensation in the throat. I was looking bad, feeling bad and slowly sinking. On my return to India, I took off from my work. But rest, exercise did not really help. I was feeling desparate and decided to go to a doctor again. I was having medicines on my own in a combination which suited me the best. My doctor was a gastroenterologist and he eamined me and lsitened to my tale of woes. He told me that medicines were not really helping me. He asked me to stop all medicines though I could persuade him to prescribe some mdicine for belching. He advised me to try Bel Murabba(Bel Preserve) two small pieces each during lunch and dinner(Bael is a tropical fruit, biological name- Aegle marmelos) . It has been almost six months since then. My IBS is not cured but it really helped me. The following improvements are there:My loose stools have almost stopped though i may have a bout once in 15 days.My discomfort in the stomach area is reduced. I have added few kgs of weight after a long-long time.My appetite ihas improved.But to get a proper sleep, I still have Alprazolam .25 mg every night. I would also suggest the following based on my experience.1. To have freshly made yoghurt( not the pasteurised one available in the stores) with a large slice of papaya and two bananas as breakfast.2. To have food only when hungry. 3. To eat very slowly and with no disturbance like tv or conversation etc.4. To eat some sharp tasting food like pickle(small quantity) which makes your mouth water along with your food.5. To do some exercise everydays without fail. I walk for 30-40 minutes and this helps me belch and pass wind making me feel much better. I hope my experience helps. I am not sure if you would get Bael preserve in USA. But you can try the Indian Stores.All the best,Pushpender

1 - 1 of 1 Posts