Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm an IBS-D veteran of nearly 25 years now. While I like to think that I handle all of the D issues and my life fairly well by now, I've got an issue now that's weighing on me a little. I've been advised that I need to fly for business. Only a "short" flight, about two hours, but still something that I'm dreading. I've only flown once before and while I didn't have any major IBS issues in the air, I did get to sample the bathrooms in North Carolina, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The RI bathrooms were by far the best. My GI issued me some Bentyl and stated to only use it when absolutely necessary as it's effectiveness will decline with use. I've tried it once, and it knocked me out, I slept very well! The next day was very good though. The gut was very quiet and I didn't visit the bathroom once! The day after was good also. I'm not sure if I can use it in advance to get things "normalized" for the trip or what to do. I'm thinking if I need it on the trip, it'll knock me out and I may end up in Thailand or somewhere. Any thoughts on travel/air tips? I take calcium and loads of fiber everyday. But the IBS attacks are 100% unpredictable. I can deal with the D real well, but the urgency I can't deal with. People just can't identify with having to find a bathroom in a minute! No kidding! Luckily, I've only had two accidents in my time.Well, guess that's my rant, any thoughts?Thanks.......

· Registered
457 Posts
quote:My GI issued me some Bentyl and stated to only use it when absolutely necessary as it's effectiveness will decline with use.
I don't think your GI doc is right about the decline in effectiveness. I've been taking it 4 times a day for a while and it remains the most effective treatment that I've found. I think it is quite common for IBSers to be on longterm antispasmodics, usually either Bentyl (dicyclomine) or Levsin (Hyoscyamine).There are actually dozens of antispasmodics. It took me a few to find one that both worked and didn't wipe me out with side effects. You should discuss this with your doc. You are not limited to Bentyl if it bothers you. There's probably one that works without the side effects.I travel as much as I can but decided a long time ago that I would just make up my mind and go -- and deal with emergencies as they came up. Sometimes I win -- sometimes I don't. At least while you are in transit, there is almost always a bathroom nearby (airports, airplanes, hotels, and offices).

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the thoughts. I've tried to stay away from Immodium. It tends to really bind me up, too much. I guess for a one day deal to get through something it'll work, but on a two/three day trip it might cause too much trouble. The Immodium will "dry up" the D for me, but won't stop the spasms and pain. A spasm/pain attack when bound up with Immodium causes me nausea that's unbelievable, almost like my bout with kidney stones
I try to make the best of my buddy D and just do stuff, but sometimes the attack is just so strong I get really run down. Guess that's what has me a little apprehensive. Guess regardless I'll just have to do it and whatever happens happens, the unknown and worries won't kill me, just might make me a bit miserable
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.