Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS-D and have had it for a little over 5 years. My symptoms are under fairly good control without medication (except birth control, as periods trigger my symptoms), though I still have some urgency and my stools are softer than they were prior to the IBS onset. I currently have a cold (runny nose, congestion and some coughing) and I've noticed that my stools are more formed and I've had less urgency. Looking back, I've noticed that my GI system typically does feel better when I have a cold. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
If you are taking anything for the cold .. like an antihistamine... that could explain it. Some folks have found that antihistamines help their D.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most commonly people find when they are sick the IBS gets worse.However some medications for colds (like products with antihistamines) sometimes do help with some IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, I haven't been taking antihistamines, etc - They usually sedate me too much and have little to no effect. I found it odd that my GI tract would calm down while everything else felt poorly!

·
Registered
311 Posts
u need to check out adrenal fatigue............namely the stages of it..........it might b that when u r sick, ur adrenals, which r usually a little tired, i think, gives it the good old college try & tries to help, by stressing it's self a little bit more........the adrenals control many things in ur body, including how u handle stress & muscle contractions & control............so when more adrenal stress hormones get produced, the D gets better........really look up symptoms of adrenal fatigue, c how many apply to u..........if it's this, then u need to get a handle on it, cause if u don't, the longer time goes on, the more things will get worse & possibly others effecting ur health...........

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crstar, I appreciate your concern, but I really am quite healthy aside from the occasional cold (which was running through the family) and my IBS-D. Adrenal fatigue is not a clinically recognized diagnosis.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
That is odd Blonde.. You are not taking ANY cold remedy whatsoever? Because some of the cold remedies have antihistamines in them.But..if not..Ok.. well you are rare as Kathleen said it is more common for folks to feel more of their IBS when they are sick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oddly enough, I haven't taken any antihistamines or cold remedies. The only thing I've taken is ibuprofen, and I take that quite a bit even when I'm not nursing a cold. I know it's more typical for IBS to flare with illness, so I was surprised to discover this now/when I was looking back. I'm somewhat of a freak of nature!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with a cold. I assumed it had something to do with extra mucous being in the system, but I really don't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts