Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the problem that I have? When under physical stress (i.e. travel, even domestic, or being in a work situation that doesn't offer something to avoid a trigger food) I get so sick that I end up in the hospital. At first it is cramping and D and then nausea and the vomitting won't stop.After ruling out other things including Celiac's, my doctor says that he's doing something that is based on a theory. He says that it has been reported that some people with IBS-D that get this nausea and vomitting have either gotten a bacteria or have a bacteria that is naturally occuring that grows out of control. Some theories say that this bacteria can cause ulcers and all kinds of other distresses.In any case, I have been taken from a work function to the hospital three times now (not to mention the other times that I made it home and went to the ER after leaving politely. Is this something that happens to others? I see a lot about the colon issues but not much about the combination.My doctor is treating me based on the theory (he says that there has been some success) by giving me a combination of Prevacid and a strong quinalone type antibiotic to kill off everything and then give me the chance to rebuild healthy bacteria with probiotics after the treatment is done. Has anyone else done this?Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For the bacteria thing look up some information on SIBO (Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth).I've been thinking of asking my doctor to try out the antibiotic just to see if SIBO is my problem, though I'm taking Probiotics and Peppermint Oil already, which are supposed to help with SIBO and I haven't noticed any miracles yet.Perhaps you should try some Peppermint Oil capsules yourself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what he was describing but I didn't know that there was a name for it. He just decided to go straight to the antibiotics. After this, Probiotics and peppermint sound good.Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.