Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So this is my first time posting on any kind of forum and I've had IBS for 9 years. I'm 20 years old. When the symptoms first started I didn't have a BM for weeks at a time, now it never stops. I go 4-5 every morning when I wake and then I have cramps/bloating/gas all day. Some days I barely get food to my mouth when I can't seem to get to the bathroom fast enough.I was seeing a gastro until I lost my health insurance. I had to drop out of school and quit my full time job because my symptoms were out of control. I take up to 6 imodium a day to try and control the symptoms. I hate going out, because I never know what to eat or if my stomach is going to get upset.To top it all off, dating sucks ! I hate having to cancel plans with someone because my stomach decided for me. I was prescribed bentyl like 4 years ago, it works sometimes. Never when I need it too. I just want to be a normal 20 yr old girl. I want to go out with my friends and have a good time. Not going out with my friends and planning my night based on where the closest bathroom is, just in case.I need some advice. I don't remember the last time I've left the house.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
WelcomeJust so you know Bentyl is an antispasmodic med.. not an anti diarreal. So it may help with cramping... but it may not stop D.Have you ever tried using Calcium Carbonate supplements? Many folks find they firm up loose BM's. See "Linda's Calcium" thread thumbtacked to the top of this forum. Some other folks find that bile salt binders can firm up their D as well. The brand names of those in the US are Questran (powder form) or Cloestid (pill/tablet form). This med is by prescription only but it may be worth asking your Dr about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was taking TUMS regularly for heartburn and such I remember my BMs being less frequent. No gas or sprinting to the bathroom in the morning. I was able to go out and have a life.I was told taking TUMS regularly was bad, so I stopped. Got put on protonix for the GERD.I'm certainly going to look into the calcium after reading that post. Thanks !Now, I just need dating advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well funny you should say that because that is the ONE form of Calcium Carbonate that seems to help me... TUMS! :(I am currently using the "Smoothies" version.These.. Peppermint flavor:http://www.tums.com/products_smoothie.aspxThe dating advice... oy.. you are on your own with that. I have been married waaaaayyy too long to be of any help to you whatsoever. LOL Good Luck though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theyre my favorite ! Haha. How often do you take them? Maybe I should start taking them again. I've also been researching Caltrate 600 with vitamin D. I've read good things, maybe if I'm feeling better soon I'll head to the pharmacy.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Two usually.. a day.. maybe 3 maximum.Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am hearing that Activia is really helping people that have IBS with predominate D. I'm going to try it. What I usually do now is if I know I'm going out, I will take 2 Immodium about an hour or so before I am to eat. Then, I will take 2 more right before I eat, just to make sure and depending on what I'm about to eat. It is the general rule of thumb to stay away from fried, fatty, rich & spicy foods. Well, some of those are my favorites so if I'm going to get a food in that category, then I'm going to take precautions and if it means taking 4 Immodium before eating it, then I'm going to do it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm the same way. The one thing I can never say no to is chicken and broccoli alfredo. How terrible ! I've never been diagnosed with a lactose intolerance, but it sure seems to do a number on my stomach when I eat it. I'm starting to get pissed off though. Because like, now my stomach is changing patterns again. I only had D in the morning, like i have no BM by the early afternoon and none through the evening. Just when I wake up, it's bad for like 2 hours, then I'm fine. It's so weird. I don't really know what to do about calming down the morning D.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Morning are normaly the worst part of the day for people with Ibs, it is when the bowel/colon is most active, as well as being so at meal times. Try taking Imodium as soon as you wake up, I take one as soon as i wake and if I am going out I will take another about 1 hour before I go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :(I have my body on a time schedule. I go to bed by midnight. I wake up around 3 am have a large glass of ice water. Go back to sleep and wake up at 9 and instantly have to go to the bathroom. This is EVERYDAY.I'm not sure if the water I have in the middle of the night plays a role.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probably more for the fact you wake up at the same time every day than anything you do when you wake up in the middle of the night.Every human's colon is supposed to become active (most active time of the day) around the time we get up. You can't make that normal natural signal go away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty, thanks so much. I'm going to try tums and maybe the caltrate 600 for some calcium, see if that relieves it at all. What can you recommend for the pain .. anything?I know when you eat more it can cause the D to become worse, but I'm ALWAYS hungry.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
For pain??? That's what antispasmodics are for generally.. the pain. You may find if you end up taking less imodium.. you may have less pain. It can bring on cramping for me. But otherwise for pain.. I have used relaxation techniques, distraction, hypnotherapy (The IBS 100 Audioprogram see out CBT/Hypno Forum via the site navigator on the bottom right of every page for more info) and those heat patches I find help as well.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain typically is treated with antispasmodics, low dose antidepressants (and the tricyclics or SNRI's both tend to be a bit constipating so may help control the diarrhea a bit), or mind body therapy.About the only do it yourself for pain is peppermint oil. I use Altoids for that. 2-3 have enough peppermint oil I can feel the difference. If you know when you get pain (like after meals or at stressful meetings) taking it 20-30 minutes before hand (and this is for prescription antispasmodics, peppermint or if Imodium calms the diarrhea enough it that comes with the pain) can sometimes prevent the attack. Easier to do when the medication is in place before the pain rather than waiting until it is bad then try to get rid of it.Low dose antidepressants need to be taken daily to have their effect and may take a few weeks to kick in.Eating 4-6 mini meals a day may help with hunger and diarrhea control. However, if you really have pretty severe hunger pains all the time you may need to be checked for gastritis as that can feel like hunger pains. For mini meals you want to divide up the calories so you may only eat 300 calories at a time but you eat every 3 hours during the day. Some people can't work that schedule but it can work. Even if it you just eat 1/2 your breakfast then eat the other half later and then do the same with lunch and dinner. But some people like a bit more variety so will plan out the 6 meals a day and just have each in a plastic container and grab them when it is time to eat again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.