Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months I have been suffering abdominal cramps when my food is getting digested. I have always been pretty tolerant of pain but this is just too much. Sometimes, the only comfort I find after eating is to lat naked on the bathroom floor because the coldness soothes the pain a bit. I had a colonoscopy done and it came back clean. I feel like this diagnose is given to people when the doctor just doesn't know what it is. When the colonoscopy came back clean, I just cried. I would have preferred anything else, at least we would know and could treat it. But this is just awful! I'm on Phenobarb and hyoscyamine for the pain and a very healthy diet. The truth is, even healthy food needs to be digested and I CANNOT go through that. The pain meds are useless. I am a teacher and am seriosly considering taking a leave of absence. My students are suffering from all of my absences due to either uncontrollable pain or doctor's appointments. I am so frustrated and desperate for pain relief. I used Percocets that were prescibed to me a year ago after a tubal ligation. I only used two then and had several left. I have to be honest and tell you that it works! The pain is gone and the frequent runs to the bathroom have stopped. My concern now is that I am running out and my GI doctor will not prescribe them but won't give me anything that works either. If anyone knws a GI doctor who would prescribe them for me in Connecticut, please contact me. I can assure you that I am not an addict, just a woman in extreme pain.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i can't help u with a dr in connecticut............but as for the digestion thing......u might try some betaine hydrochloride to c if it helps u make more stomach acid (hydrochloric acid).........when there isn't enough of it, it can cause so much pain, bloating, cramps & many things inbetween.........i was there for close to 7yrs............search the net for hydrochloric acid & betaine hydrochloride..........most places will tell u they r the same thing or use them interchangeably........they r not the same thing or have the same chemical formula...........hope u get the help u need.............chris..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand you completely...it's been like that for me for almost 10yrs....have you been tested for Celiac? Blood work can tell you if you have that. I myself im getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy done tomorrow to make sure i dont have Chrons instead of IBS, meds stopped working for me a long time ago, i hope they can finally figure out was wrong. Hang in there and don't give up, you are your best advocate...if this dc doesnt cut it for you get a second opionion. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find it odd how different doctors run different tests. When I went to the gastro, he didn't do a colonscopy. Instead, he did an endoscopy (upper scope). He took biopsies while he did it to test for a variety of diseases, one of those being Celiac's disease. There are a variety of diseases and syndromes that have the same symptoms of IBS. Many of these do not allow the body to properly digest food and therefore can lead to malabsorption. I believe Ulcerative Colitis is one of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.