Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum and I joined because I am an IBSD sufferer for many years. I have been doing extremely well {I do tai chi and chi kung} until I recently had a bout of gastroenteritis. It has been two weeks since the attack and still cannot eat properly, nausea, abdominal cramps and loose BMs. I went to the doctor and got the usual meds for the virus - lomotil. On a previous visit he gave me librax which I hardly used but have to use them now - it helps. I have been on AD effexor 75 mg which works really well and has been helping me with the spasms and cramps.Just wanted to find out if it is usual to have the nausea/cramps still after 2 weeks. I don't have an appetite and only eat small meals frequently. Have lost some weight. Any advice will be appreciated as I am really worried this is going on so long.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is fairly normal for anyone to take from a week to a month to fully recover from a GI virus or food poisoning.That is why they usually need at least 6 weeks to 6 months of symptoms before calling it IBS after a GI infection (which is a common trigger).Many IBSers seem to take longer than they are used to when recovering from a GI illness so it sounds pretty normal.Can you tolerate probiotics? Sometimes the illness can have diarrhea bad enough to mess with the GI flora and sometimes a probiotic (friendly bacteria) can help settle things, if you tolerate them (or a specific one) to start with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is fairly normal for anyone to take from a week to a month to fully recover from a GI virus or food poisoning.That is why they usually need at least 6 weeks to 6 months of symptoms before calling it IBS after a GI infection (which is a common trigger).Many IBSers seem to take longer than they are used to when recovering from a GI illness so it sounds pretty normal.Can you tolerate probiotics? Sometimes the illness can have diarrhea bad enough to mess with the GI flora and sometimes a probiotic (friendly bacteria) can help settle things, if you tolerate them (or a specific one) to start with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have started probiotics last week. Thanks for the info you sent as I have had GI illness before but did not suffer as much as this. I will keep this in mind. Cannot wait for it to pass ugh!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts