Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new member, I have had ibs:d for over 10 years on and off but seems to be getting worse last 12 months, I’m usually waking up in the middle of night making a quick dash to toilet. First BM is normal solid, 10 minutes later the gas pains under the ribs, and in my groin like a knife twisting back on the toilet with explosive diarhea, literally sitting for 10 minutes as I go to get up and the pain and evacuation is not complete, I usually have to have some fizzy cordial to expel the gas, burping makes me feel a little better, get back into bed, can’t lay down as belly making loud noises and I can feel the next BM approaching, I can feel the movement in my intestines, this goes on for another hour at least up and down, thin stools ribbon like, mushy to absolutely water like diarhea the smell is very acidic. Have had 2 colonoscopy, endoscopy, tried different medication nothing works, mainly occurs at night, although eating reheated foods can set me off at lunchtime at work which results in my stomach going hard as a rock, gas pain that will not move and frequent trips to the toilet can’t go but chronic pain and nausea, only relief is to lie down but hard when you are at work. A hot bath alleviates the pain and eating the banana rice, toast and applesauce for a few days helps..
I have been tested for celiac and lactose intolerant and came back normal range.
Fried foods I avoid, melted cheese is another trigger along with certain tomato 🍅 based sauces. Lately it doesn’t matter what I eat I’m experiencing diarhea after every meal. I keep a food diary but this isn’t showing a pattern of triggers besides those above. Tonight we had roast lamb with vegetables and I had gas pains 20 minutes after eating, then the normal BM followed by 3 more explosive BM, with sweating, pains under ribs, sitting upright until it eventually passes.
I have tried food maps and it didn’t work for me. My father and daughter have similar gut issues. Some days I can eat a food no issue and then several days later eat the same food and I have pain and diarrhoea..
Any tips would be appreciated 😃👍

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you had gall bladder checked?

I know....sometimes a "safe" food is fine, and other times a flare happens if I eat a safe food or not. It comes on a whim and a fancy of its own. I had a few flares in the middle of the night but mine are usually mornings for a few hours. The middle of the night ones are really horrid because it's the most tiring time. It's very depressing.
I wish I knew for sure anything that would help. My only help at really bad times is never eating until I feel natural hunger (I just drink herbal teas) Then when I do start to feel hungry, I limit to hard boiled eggs, white bread toast, white rice, or white peeled potatoes cooked well, maybe some lettuce or a few green beans. No seasonings except a bit of sea salt.
Daren't eat fruit of any kind during a flare, and not much fibre.
I tried herbs like blackberry leaf, Tormentil, Meadowsweet, Peppermint, fresh Ginger. They did help, but not dramatically. But I usually do take them if I have a bad flare because any help is better than none.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts