Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering why I am more subsceptible to picking up GI infections sice I have started having IBS symptoms some 18 months ago.Is there any reason for this?? I am just recovering from a pretty bad infection that needed antibiotics to sort out
The frequency has increased a lot since I stated having IBS, now I am getting a bad infection at least once every 3-4 months

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Pitzi, what infections have you been coming down with?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric I am not too sure which germ is causing this, but the funny thing is that I always get this after eating in a specific restaurant. I usually get D after about 24-36 hours and it gradually gets worst until I get fever, at which point my GP prescribes an antibiotic, this time he prescribed this 2 medications: http://home.intekom.com/pharm/geoschw/metazol.html http://home.intekom.com/pharm/opus/kantrexl.html Usually he prescribes a Ciproflaxacin broad-spectrum antibiotic which works like a bomb and stops the infection within 24-36 hours, but this time I dont know why he prescribed something different.Needless to say I am going to avoid this restaurant like the plague in the future!!!

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
yes, I would avoid the restaurant. That may be the ticket if you don't have an issue after that. But does your doc have any idea what germ it could be? The other thing is when you go to the place do you always eat a specific food at the place?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent had any tests done tom establish what kind of infection it is. It doesnt matter what I eat, whatever i eat I get an infection there, the funny thing is that its not every time that I eat there that I get an infection, but every time that I have had an infection it was within 24-36 hours after eating in the same place. the symptoms are always the same so i guess it must be a specific strain or something?? I wonder what could be the cause?? Lack of hygene perhaps??thanks for the advice

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Pitzi,It may be that you are getting infection from the same bugs over and over, not that it's anything due to IBS. When you get the same bugs treated by the same antibiotic some of the bugs can get resistant and then it's hard to get rid of them completely. It think it's good that you got a different batch of antibiotics. I recognize the flagyl (metronidazole) which is great for intestinal infections. The other one I don't recognize but I see that it has the bismuth included which should help. The flagyl can really do a job on you. I hope you tolerated it OK. I would bet that the bug is living in the restaurant kitchen somewhere. Glad you're crossing it off your list.Rosie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.