Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'm very unusual as my IBS diagnosis did not come till I was 45. Didn't have real problems before that. On the other hand my stomach has growled lots since in high school. Sometimes very loud. And when under stress (since I was in my 20(s)), my lower left side below the belly button would start to mildly spasm and gurgle. Never thought twice about it though it happened frequently.Then, just 4 months ago, I discovered I'd been sent for a lower GI when I was 23 because of several months of "weird felings" in my lower abdomen. Those were the exact words I used to describe it back then. I had totally forgotten about this episode and didn't of course know to mention it to the doctor a year ago when I was diagnosed with IBS.Does this sound like I had a sub-clinical version of IBS all these years that suddenly got worse. The year before my IBS diagnossis I had a detached retina and was under extreme stress for almost a year. It took the doctor a year to tell me with confidence my retina would not redetach.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I had mild IBS off and on for years before getting a severe case of it after some sort of infection. So it can happen.K------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I was always a "stomach person" going way back to my teens. When my son was around 3 (he's almost 14 now)it just got worse to the point where I always had D and lost alot of weight. (I only gained 17 lbs when I was pregnant-DR's thought I needed to eat more and made me have 3 milkshakes a day which only made things worse) Anyway I went to a GI and told him my life story and had a colonoscopy which confirmed that I had IBS-my brother has mild IBS and my grandmother had it all of her life that I can remember. Anyway since then with librax, fibercon, diet,relaxation and just plain time, now (I'm 47) and I think I always had IBS and probably always will though it tends to wax and wane depending on a variety of things. To answer your question you probably could had some form of it earlier but it wasn't "diagnosed" til you had your test. Hope this helps
P.S. I work for an opthalmologist so I KNOW how scarey and stressful a detached retina can be. In my opinion, being concerned about that (floaters and flashes scare me-and I have had both) could have been a trigger for your IBS flaring. I'm glad that it was sucessfully retached and that you are okay.------------------Nancy[This message has been edited by NancyCat (edited 05-17-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Yes the detached retina floored me for a year. I could barely get through work. Kept getting little flashes and things and thought the buckle had come off. Had to see my surgeon every 3 weeks or so for a year. Luckily, I live in the Bay Area and went to the "top gun" retinal detachment surgeon on the West Coast. He really worked a miracle with me.What made it so dreadful was that the other eye had a detachment 7 years earlier. At my age I was told this was almost unheard of. My blood pressure went way up. Funny thing, in all that time my stomach did not act up. But I was so focused/obsessed with my eyes that i wasn't paying much attention to anything else.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wasn't diagnosed formally till I was about 48 (am now 51). Changed doctors and new one said right away I had IBS. Years ago my previous doctor sent me for all the tests but never said I had anything. Now I realize that I have had it since my early teens. Thought it was "intestinal allergies" because various foods made the symptoms much worse. Now that I know what I have, I have made adjustments that have improved my IBS somewhat.Your eye problem would have made your IBS worse due to stress. Glad to hear that problem is retified now. Don't dwell on the past, work on making your quality of life better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.