Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have suffered from IBS for 5 years now, have tried medication - meberverine, peppermint oil, tea, buscopan, homeopathic treatment and have realised that it has a close link with my emotions and i have gotten myself into a viscious circle and resort to taking small doses of immodium. However i do not want to be taking immodium as a saviour to a normal life and want to fix it myself (easier said than done)Has any one tried cognitive behavioural therapy? or hypnosis? I am thinking of giving it a try!!Also does any one know if there are problems with taking immodium frequently and long term?Its such an awful debilitating condition that just gets fobbed off by doctors Help people!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a long term user of Imodium and it hasn't harmed me at all. I have it prescribed my a doctor and my gastroenterolist confirms my using it daily. Of all the medicinal drugs I have tried for 'D', Imodium comes out on top.I tried clinical hypnosis, having had it recommended to me by a doctor. It was an enjoyable and very expensive process and I am now able to practise self hypnosis successfully. However, for me it had no benefit whatsoever in helping me with my IBS D. But it is a very pleasant and relaxing experience.Hope this helps

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most people are fine with Imodium on a regular basis.If you want something more natural you might check out the Calcium thread pinned in the diarrhea forum, some people would rather take calcium supplements and most of us don't get enough calcium anyway.I did CBT and it really helped me a lot. I was in a clinical study and it helped about 70% of the people in it. It is harder to find someone trained to do CBT for IBS than to find someone to do hypnotherapy. Both home programs and a 7 session in person program have been studied and they have about the same success rate.So there is a good chance it could help, but can't promise it will. Sadly nothing is a sure bet. You might check the CBT and hypnotherapy forum we have as there are quite a few stories and a lot of information. The in home programs usually cut the cost down a lot (usually at or lower than a single session with the hypnotherapist).

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello and welcome!As with any IBS treatment, you just have to find what works best for you - I have tried almost everything over the years and hypnotherapy was very helpful for me and many on this BB.Take a peek at the links below for more information regarding a very cost-effective solution for hypnotherapy for IBS - many times hypnosis or hypnotherapy can be helpful, but for IBS, the protocol has to be gut-specific or gut-directed in order to be effective for the IBS and related symptoms. This program has been in discussion on this BB since 1998 and has had a very good track record for helping the vast majority of folks who try it.I can also confirm that everyone is right about the Imodium - my gastro also said there would be no problem taking it on a regular basis - it was usually helpful, especially at first, though most times my IBS over-rode the meds~If you have any questions re the IBS Audio Program, please feel free to ask - or look at http://www.IBSCDS.com I am happy to help. And check out the links below if you wish more info too.All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.