Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

IBS doesn't cause pain at night/while sleeping?

3K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  mainjulie1962@hotmail.com 
Hi - I think that for a long time the 'respected wisdom' was that IBS pain shouldn't wake you at night, but to be honest I think that's wrong - I've heard a fair number of people say they have pain at night (including me on rare occasions).Heather Van Vorous also says in her IBS book that she had pain that would wake her up at night, so I think it's certainly possible.

I think that we all basically agree - pain that wakes you up is not a typical symptom of IBS, but it can occur and doesn't necessarily mean that you also have another illness going on. However, as Eric says if it happens frequently then that needs to be checked out as it would point to something other than IBS.I just checked the Rome II criteria and what they say is that it is a 'red flag' symptom (ie: a sign that something other than IBS may be wrong) if you have pain that "Often awakens/interferes with sleep".I agree that doctors often sprout drivel! (Reminds me of my favourite poem, that starts "No peas for the wicked, no carrots for the damned...")

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.