Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Found this on a different board and thought it was important to share. If any of you have experienced severe, watery, chronic D, abdominal cramping, and weight loss; have had bacterial and/or viral infections and IBD ruled out; and have been told you have IBS, you may want to consider asking your doctor about getting a 5-HIAA test. This is especially necessary if you have "flushing" symptoms, such as severe reddening of the face for minutes or hours at a time or facial swelling. The 5-HIAA test is very simple - you collect all of your urine for 24 hours in one container - and can tell you if you may have a carcinoid tumor. Carcinoid tumors are relatively rare, slow-growing neuroendocrine tumors that cause symptoms such as those I listed above

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, terrifying! So glad right now that my face doesn't swell (although I do flush a little when I'm errr flushing a lot, he he). Good advice though Brett. It's always good to be on the lookout for things that might be missed

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Nup, sorry to disappoint (have edited but just can't seem to get that word to look right today
)Brett but I'm not her (never heard of her to be honest, hope she's nice
). I get that a lot though, I seem to have one of those faces! When we moved towns when I was 13 I had all these people in the new place calling me Jenny! Had no idea who Jenny was but everyone swore I was her doppleganger!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.