Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS is greatly triggered by exercise. Specifically runnning. Just ran a race this morning and I'm in agony now. Before the race I took 2 Excedrin (which has caffeine) to replace my morning coffee. During the intense exercise, the excedrin burned a hole in my stomach (seemingly) leaving me with terrible cramps and loose bowels (I'll keep it vague :) Any have similar experiences? The combination of the aspirin and the exercise seems to be a wicked trigger for IBS. *sigh* Lemme know your thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Caffeine is poison to my IBS, I first started noticing IBS symptoms when I started drinking alcohol, but when I started to drink coffee in college it made it ten times worse. I stay away from coffee and do my best to avoid chocolate. Coffee is also acidic which aggravates the symptons the most. The sad thing is I love coffee and would love to have a couple of cups in the morning. Have to wait for a cure for IBS.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Runningman and welcome Aspirin on an empty stomach is bad enough in itself, but to take it for the caffeine it supplies can really play havoc with IBS symptoms. I, myself do drink coffee. I buy the half-decaffenated and it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I only drink it in the morning, and the worst thing it does is make me have to urinate more. I have found that exercise plays a big role and is extemely helpful in calming symptoms. (Now, if I would just take my own advise and get more exercise.) LOL Hang in-------- Donna-----

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Running man, I used to drink coffee about ten years ago, It was deadly on the insides I also have found through trial and error that any kind of hot drink even just water is a stimulant. Of corse eating out is a disaster most of the time especially if I travel right after. Holidays with my family is very hard I travel hungry most of the time, and its not uncomen for me to not eat for most of the day if I have to go out for the evening. My stomach can't tolerate anything with asprin in it. I am having a hard time finding a pain killer with my doc that doesn't iritate my IBS. Some meds also have lactose in them , nasty stuff for me. Talk to you soon. Cat B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it's probably the coffee. I reluctantly gave up drinking coffee on the advice of my neurologist because I also suffer from migraines. Well, what can I say? I miss it daily, but have never felt better in my life. All kinds of nasty things have disappeared from my body. Why not try drinking peppermint tea? That's what I now wake up to and have grown to love it. Peppermint is very soothing on your digestive system. Hope this helps.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can include me in the "WE MISS OUR COFFEE" group! It will make me sick quicker than anything else, even decaf because of the acid. Looks like you may have to give it up. Try it for a while & see?Welcome to the board!sass

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, I am not a coffee drinker but USE TO drink Coke. Also suffered Migraines and used Excedrine until my stomach burned. But it was better than the headaches. Am trying to stay away from the caffine altogether as it keeps me awakes nites. I read that lack of sleep could help cause gas problems. I use to excercise a lot but got away from it as with giving up all the foods that I like to eat I am having problems keeping weight on.I Now do deep breathing excercises instead. They help but don't work off tension like aerobics use to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If caffeine was a trigger in an individual's symptoms, would it be more liable to increase the peristaltic rate? Could it also disorganize motility so as to induce "locking" type spasms?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the aspirin-free Excedrin and it seems to be ok for my IBS and does help my heachaches. I do not get caffeine from any other source. I can't handle soda pop or coffee. I drink TONS of water - the best thing in the world for IBS. Chloe

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't exercise enough to know if it aggravates the IBS or not. However, I do like to walk and that seems to work okay for me. Except I remember one time I was out walking and about three blocks from the house I was hit with a sudden urge for the bathroom! I made it but it was close. I too also love my caffeine and have reluctantly given it up. I do try to drink the decaf stuff. I recently discovered RAJA's Cup. Has anyone heard of it? I have not tried it yet but I have sent for a free sample of it. It is made from herbs. It is suppose to taste and brew like coffee. I can't wait to try it to see what it is like. Will let you guys know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.