Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really struggle with diarrhea but I'm far from constipated. I work midnight shifts which is great for being able to use the bathroom anytime I need to. They aren't like a full bowel movement, they're small relative healthy looking ones, just to small. It seems like my gut doesn't wait to for a full load so I end up having anywhere from 8-10 bowel movements on a bad night. These bad nights keep happening. I tried avoiding gluten, I eat fairly healthy.

Recently I've noticed that my nights off or whenever I'm at home I never have to use the bathroom. I can eat anything, like taco bell and not have to worry about regular people taco bell issues let alone IBS flares. I'm guessing it has something to do with stress, anxiety, and general comfort but I don't know how to treat that so I can work. I am seeing a psychiatrist hopefully soon but i need some tips for dealing with work tonight. To make my easy job not suck because outside of the comfort of my house my gut wrenches and throws a fit. Pepto does seem to help but I want a more preventative method than reactionary and preferably not a pill.

Thank you for reading this. I hope you guys can help me and in turn I can help others.

TL; DR

My IBS flares up at work 8-10 bm's. At home, generally fine and no problems. Need help so I can work without running to the bathroom all the time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I suspect its adrenaline in the system. nerves overreact while you work. fresh pineapple can calm down your system at 7:00-11:00 pm. The late shift can change your timing a bit but its still doable. Do not eat meat late in the day. Fish or wild game is fine as it can be digested fast. Avoid Coffee and meat late.

Do not suppress urges to nap near 1:00 pm if you need to.

Tomatoes juice and molasses with olives or butter for lunch.

If you work over galbladder and liver time, ideally things need to rest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same issue with IBS-D, though on day shift. Anxiety definately makes things worse, I worry I will have to go -so then I have to go. I don't eat within 3 hours of sleeping and I take one Imodium in the evening before bed. I will still have to go several times before I leave for work, but it's not as lose. When expecting high stress day I take a 1/2 Imodium in morning. I find Pepto makes causes constipation and may make several BM's that don't empty bowls completely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.