Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many people this will help but I think is pretty important for female IBS sufferers to look into. I have suffered with IBS (constipation) and all of the embarrassment and humiliation that comes with it for about 22 years now. I had noticed that the symptoms of the disease get worse right before and during my menstrual cycle. I found that Depo-Provera injections for birth control help to ease some of the symptoms so I have been getting them for the last 5 years. After my most recent flare up of uncontrollable flatulence, which made work very unpleasant, I made a same day appointment with a doctor I had never seen before to try to get my next 3-month Depo-Provera injection earlier; because my flatulence issues. The problem with the flatulence was that I did not feel gassy but my co-workers people at work sure noticed. When I described what was happening the doctor said that it sounds as if I was suffering from endometriosis and that it may have spread to my bowels (intestines). After doing some research it looks like this has been my problem for the last 22 years and no doctor recognized it except this one. Endometriosis symptoms often include IBS like symptoms.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It is always good to rule out any GYN issues to achieve a good IBS diagnosis. Thanks for sharing your story & I hope you are feeling much better!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your symptoms are pretty much identical to mine. The endometriosis thing has actually come to mind because even during and after my period, I still have problems. I've also had lots of issues with my period lately. For example, I'll get a really heavy period for 2 days and then it will stop.. Then it'll come back for a little while and stop again.. It's very odd. During this time I often have abdominal pain, bloating, flatulance, and constipation. I get IBS symptoms all the time, whether I have my period or not. I've had some messed up hormonal issues (hot flashes, hair loss, acne, etc.) but all the blood tests they took came back normal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the IBS symptoms all through the month also, but it really gets bad one week before my period; leaky gas and all. It seems as if I had tried mostly everything probiotics, chlorophyll, charcoal, gas x, beano, apple cider vinegar, not eating, and etc. I assuming that stress plays a large role in IBS too. I've got plenty of that also. Just like anyone with IBS who's trying live a normal life. Endometriosis and IBS, WOW!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow. That post was really poweful. i have been having some major issues lately and I am currently diagnosed with IBS (constipation) and have been having really bad ruptured cysts (3 in last 1.5 years) and my period has gotten more painful over time and has also become more random (i'll go 50 days without it even though i used to be every 30 days like clock work). anyway, i am kind of feeling like i need to get checked for endometriosis b/c my sister had SEVERE endometriosis and perhaps if i got tested i could get help. have you gotten tested (laproscopy) for endometriosis and confirmed? curious to know if this has helped!email me [email protected], check out my blog at www.eatandbe.com.again, thanks so much for mentioning IBS & endometriosis in the same sentence, first time i have put the 2 together but think it may lead to some relief for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have not had laproscopy yet. My doctor wanted me to continue with the birth control injections to control the ibs. I have requested to have it done though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts