Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference (if there is one) between acidopholus(sp) and probiotics (sp)? I have been taking acidopholus for three days now.Thanks,Chris

G

·
You're not a dummy - acidophilus IS a probiotic - how are you doing on them - see my main "story" about how I react. Would be very interested to know how you get on.Best wishesSue

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Acidophilous is one species of probiotic bacteria.A probiotic bacteria is one that meets certain criteria, like it doesn't produce gas from the digestion of coarbs.Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of the species. and is where the name acidophilus comes fromThere are other Lactobacillus species (name Lactobacillus with some other name at the end) and there are other Genera (the first name of the two names is diffierent Bifobacterium is another common name you see).There are different strains of L. acidophilus (often in writing the names the first name is just the initial) GG is one that is in culturelle (strains are kinda like ethinc groups in human beings).L. acidophilus is commonly used to make yogurt, but there are other species used as well.K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't tell any difference in using them except I usually poo 15 times a day and now I'm lucky if I poo 1 time a day (ah, some relief finally).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts