Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got IBS-C after starting Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant. Has anyone else had IBS-C result from an antidepressant? I love everything else about Wellbutrin, but the IBS-C might drive me off it. The IBS-C is becoming worse. I can't take any SSRIs (set of mania--I'm bipolar), and tricyclics cause constipation, so there's really no other option for me besides Wellbutrin.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Various antidepressants can have constipation as a side effect.I would talk to your doctor about this side effect as there may be ways of treating the constipation that would be suitable for you.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi slantgirl, I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin daily. I have tried going down to 150, but I usually start to feel depressed after a week of this. I also take Depakote, I think about 250 mg and a miniscule amount of Xanax to sleep.Any suggestions would be much appreciated. My dr. knows about my problem and doesn't really have any suggestions. I can't take SSRIs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if coming off of an antidepressant can cause these problems? I was on Prozac for a year. I quit taking it about 5 months ago. Approximately 2 weeks later, I started to develop stomach problems, which has now resulted in mild IBS C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prozac keeps you regular? Anyone on this list had luck getting rid of IBS-C by using an antidepressant? (You've got me curious!)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
super,antidepressants are commonly used to relieve or reduce the symptoms of IBS C and D. This is because antidepressants work on the chemicals in the gut (which are also found in the brain) which control digestion and peristalsis.Each person responds differently to the types of antidepressant though. For example, a C person might find relief from SSRIs which increase serotonin (and other chemicals) in the gut, thus promoting smooth muscle contractions. Others may not. Also, D people may be helped by antidepressants which reduce those chemicals in the gut, others may not or may find the reverse is true.take care,susan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If antidepressants are commonly used to relieve IBS, then I must be a real oddball to get IBS due to an antidepressant. Just my luck!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
super, you are not an oddball. Perhaps I didn't explain very well. Antidepressants can reduce D, therefore making someone more normal. Or they can make them more of a C type. It's a side effect. Remeron evens out my D and makes me C sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.