Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IBS D & C and I am thinking off taking Glucosamine Sulfate for my joints pain. Is there anyone out there who have similar IBS symptoms and are able to take glucosamine sulfate without any or very few IBS side effects.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sloan Kettering has a good resource for a lot of herbs/supplements that can help you find out potential side effects. http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfmThere have been some reported gastrointestinal side effects so you might buy a small bottle and try it for a week or so before you buy the economy size. There are also some blood glucose issues so you might need to be careful if you tend towards diabetes.I've not noticed any GI issues when I have taken in for relatively short periods of time when I've been healing up a tendon or joint injury.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I've been taking Glucosamine HCl daily for over 5 years with no associated GI problems.Mark

G

·
Hey Kathleen, I have a joint injury going on now and it is in my hip. I have been thinking of trying Glucosamine. How did it help you and was yours a hip joint problem? How long did you take it for results? My Doctor suggested Celebrex and I will not take it or any other anti-inflammatory.char

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I've jammed an elbow and I have a tendancy to get tendonitis in one of my wrists.I usually find that I seem to heal up a few weeks earlier if I take it, and I usually notice that it usually seems to start on the feeling better thing within a week after I start taking it if it has been fairly stable up until then.A co-worker of mine with chronically bad knees (they were never going to be fully OK again) took it all the time and as long as she kept taking it her knees didn't bother her very much.I don't know if I know anyone who has taken it for hips, but joints are joints, and as long as it is some sort of tendon/cartlidge type of issue I would think it would help. If it is a bone falling apart degenerative thing I don't know how much it would help. One guy in my T'ai Chi class had a bone degeneration thing in his hip and seemed to think the T'ai Chi was keeping him from needing a hip replacement. He was several years past when they said it would have to be done.K.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks K. for all the info. I had an arthroscopy operation a few years back. Had a partial medial meniscectomy. They also found I've got degenerative changes. Well, the op didn't work at all. Probably in a few years I'll need a replacement knee but really don't fancy that at all! He did recommend taking Glucosamine, said a lot of his patients had great success with it. I did try taking these but didn't think they helped. However, I've just bought some more so I'll give them another try.

G

·
Thanks for your info Kathleen, one year ago a hip x-ray showed some degenerative changes in my hip and some calcifications. Had a hip x-ray last Fri and waiting for the results. Meanwhile I keep on sorely walking. char

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
"I don't know if I know anyone who has taken it for hips, but joints are joints, and as long as it is some sort of tendon/cartlidge type of issue I would think it would help."That would be me. I used to hardly be able to complete an hour's dog walk, limping home each night. As long as I take a moderate dose (1-2 tabs a day after the initial 3 a day for a month) there is no pain and I am able to bike and walk for hours.The general rule is to take a full dose every day and not expect any improvement for the first month. It is also hard to OD on it. My neighbor has runner's knees and used to take 7 a day before he discovered some sort of injection that he now uses. That has allowed him to resume ocassional jogging, which we never thought we would see again.Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.