Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HelloHoping to get some advice from all of you. I am 35 and started suffering with GI symptoms since about the age of 29-30. I had a scope done 2 years ago and it was negative along with blood tests for celiac disease. This past Oct I was on vacation and had an episode -- several bm's, intense abd pain, chills and sweats, and just this overwhelming feeling that i can't describe. I went to the bathroom numerous times. After a few times my bm's become more and more mucous (clear) and then there was some pink blood noted. Of course I was out of town. I ended up switching physicians and getting another scope - colonoscopy and upper Gi. Upper GI showed chronic gastritis. He was unable to complete it because I have a loopy bowel. So I had a million dollar work up of a CT abd/pelvis and barium enema. All negative. I started feeling better and now I have a had another bout. I think I had the GI flu to start. I was started on librax which helps somewhat. I am scared to death that I have cancer.My symptoms include: intense abd pain- often better after going to the bathroom, diarrhea with mucous, feeling that I have to go (pressure), bloating to name a few. I have had a few occasions of some small amt of pink blood but usually after major episodes of diarrhea. Usually my bm's begin as more normal but then I usually go more than once and by the time I am done they are loose with mucous. I had a flare up today and I thought it was blood but then I realized there is just a lot of mucous.Funny thing is that my dad has the same symptoms and his mom had them as well.Both of my GI physicans have diagnosed me with IBS. My current physician knows that I am worried and said he would see if I could get authorized for a virtual colonoscopy but really felt it wasn't necessary. I have had to leave work some days. I do have a stressful job but I have had it all of my working life and I do work out and try to watch everything I eat. I am getting afraid to even leave the house for fear of not finding a bathroom. I am currently taking librex, multivitamins, and prilosec. I am otherwise healthy that I know of. This board has helped me but I am at the end of my rope. Please help! I don't know what to do and as I said I am wondering is this really IBS...Thank you!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I do believe you do, as I had the same with the mucus.I have had so many tests and all came back negative as well and all the Gastrologist said was IBS chronic Diarrhea.I have tried natural herbs from Naturepaths and Chinese medicine, natural healers, accupunture and western medicine and the only thing is to take the anti D tablets. I also tried Hypnotherapy which was not cheap.I even went to a nutricanist (sorry can't spell) she tried me on a diet elimination and nothing changed as one day I can eat something next day I can't. I cut out dairy, bread, fruit and meat and nothing changed I still had it.I know that spicy food does not agree with me also citrus I love to eat citrus but as soon as I do I have to run to the loo.I take Probotics every morning and still can get it.So it is a mystery and big question mark as to why so many of us have it.I myself have spent thousands trying to get better but I know that stress does play a part even when I think I am calm. So what I do is get up early and usually I know how I am going to go but not always 100%, I have had accidents.If I start going to the loo I take 2 Anti D tablets and if I go again I will take another one or two more tablets, but if I have had a bad day of it I always take a tablet before I go to bed and that does help as I can usually have a day free without D and without tablets, as I do not believe that it is good to have to take the tablets every day so I always have a day free.I tried the Calcium and they never helped me, unless a doctor suffers with IBS I don't feel that we will find them researching some cures, as they do not know how it affects our lives.Plus what works for some does not for others.The doctors just don't understand you when you ask is there anything else except these anti D tablets? They have no answer and give you a script and say goodbye!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
With clear scope & xray I would think everything you described sounds very much like IBS... NOT cancer. Worrying can only make your symptoms worse so I would try real hard to have some faith in the diagnosis you were given... twice.If you think having the virtual colonsocopy will help you feel less fearful.. do it. If you think you will still feel fearful no matter what the results of it are... I wouldn't bother. And instead let your Dr know you are having this fear.. perhaps they can help allay your concerns.Have you tried Calcium Carbonate supplements to firm up D? See Linda's Thread for more info...(It is thumbtacked to the top of the Diarrea Forum here that we are on.)Also make sure the Prilosec doesn't have diarrhea as a side effect. If it does.. ask the Dr for another med for the Gastritis.Have you thought about using imodium?? Even a 1/2 tab with food can make a difference. Have you talked to your Dr about using Questran (powder form) or Colestid (pill form); they are bile salt binders and can also firm up D.The pain.. I used the IBS Audioprogram 100 and it managed my pain like nothing else... including narcotics. I also use imagery, relaxation techniques, distraction etc to help me manage my pain. I also have a prescription for Levsin (actually the generic form.. Hyomax), an antispasmodic. And I have also found heat helps... like a heating pad when I can be plugged into a wall and heat patches when I can't.All these things are in my pain mgmt arsenal. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the advice. Yes, I do use Immodium it is my new best friend! I am going to ask about some of the other medications you mentioned when I have my visit. Actually, the hospital where I was referred to for the virtual colonograph told me they don't know if they will even do it because all my other tests were negative so..... apparently the barium enema is just as good of a test. This hospital is a major hospital ranked in the top in the country for GI issues (hospital I am being referred to) so I would think they would know. I guess I just need to RELAX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts