Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 51 years old & I've just been diagnosed with IBS-C, but I've been having symptoms for years (probably at least 30). The last 2 years has been extremely bad leading me to seek help. At first I was diagnosed as having diverticulitis & given antibiotics. But it just kept coming back & my gp sent me to a gastro who did a colonscopy & says I have IBS. I've also been hypothyroid for the last 10 years with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition that destroys your thyroid. My question is does anyone know if being hypothyroid & having IBS are related in any way, like can hypothyroidism make a person more likely to develop IBS. Is anybody else also hypothyroid besides having IBS? Just wondering. Since I've had the hypothyroid condition it just seems like more & more things keep going wrong with my body. I have asthma & several bad allergies now too for the last 8 years. Feel like I'm falling apart a little at a time. Thanks to anyone who answers. I really like this site. I've found out I am not alone in this & that gives me some hope that I can cope with this new twist in my health. Blessings, Cindi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had Hashimoto's since my early 20's and was just diagnosed with IBS the last two weeks, I am now 63 yrs old.There's something called an IGA deficiency which I've had all my life which brought on asthma when I was 45yrs old, I can't eat poultry, fish tofu or wheat cause of the IBS. I've become a gluten free vegan. The drug my gastro doctor gave me puts me into lala land so I quit taking it. Do you take anything for the IBS? Try finding a really good Naturopath. If you need help there's a site you can access to find one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ilene, thanks for answering. My doc gave me Librax but this med does nothing for the pain I have anyway, & it leaves an awful taste in my mouth. I can't afford to be doped up either since I am the driver in the family. I've been taking Bentyl at night only. She also gave me Miralax for constipation. This stuff is awful. I had to take it for the colonoscopy I had too & I felt like I was taking poison. Plus it doesn't work on me for a long time & then not very well. I finished the pre-colonoscopy doses & diarrhea didn't start for 5 hours, I almost didn't make it to the appt. because it came so late. So I am looking for more natural approaches. I have used enteric-coated peppermint oil for the gas & spasming with pretty good results. But I'm still looking for something to help the constipation that isn't a chemical base. I'm allergic to so many things & I have delayed reaction to allergens which means the problem may not show up when the doc is expecting it to. Then I end up in emergency, not good.. I would appreciate any info you have on finding a good naturopathic doc. I'm tired of the standard medical care for autoimmune problems - they really don't know too much about it & it's very frustrating. I'm working to eliminate gluten from my diet & I've been vegitarian for about 3 years since my husband's mini-stroke. I've also found Brian Weiss's meditation CD about Eliminating Stress to be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.