Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,First as a new member I want to thank everyone for responding to my postings. I feel like I am not a freak and overreacting about my condition, which all my none IBS friends and family imply. My question is I heard a few people on board mention IBD what is that? How does it differ from IBS? Karen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Karen--No, you're not a freak. Isn't that good to know?I'm paraphrasing from Dr. Salt's book: IBS and IBD are different disorders. In IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrom) there is no inflammation of the gut or colon, but with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) there is actual inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. There are tow forms of IBD, Uncerative colitis, and Crohn's disease. What most of us here on this BB have is IBS, which, although allegedly not a serious affliction, does cause a great deal of pain, inconvenience, irritablilty, loss of work and social activities, alienation from family and friends, crankiness, loneliness, bathroom-seeking, drug-seeking, doctor-seeking, diaper-seeking, sleepless nights, and just plain bitchiness!The chapter on IBD is on pg. 43 of Dr. Salt's book. Have a nice day. Remember, you are not a freak, and you are not alone.Jan

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
IBd symptoms include blood in stool, nauseau, insomnia, bloating, gas, pain (for CD mostly in lower right area which is the ileium), diarreah (some suffer from constipation), fistulas, and fissures. You can go to the Crohn's Disease Resource Center for more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.