Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnose with IBS 2 years ago, and I have dairy intolerance.It started after H.pylori infection and dissapear after 2 months. I hade alot of viruses but my stomach was perfectly fine.3 months (almost) ago I got stomach flu, I was having D for 2 weeks. after those 2 weeks I also got upper abdominal pain.it took month and a half for the upper abdominal pain to calm down.now my upper abdominal pain nearly never come, but all this time I ate very little, I had D on & off, and I was in a lot of stress.the last 3 weeks I started eating well and was calm but my stomach just doesn't get it.I have D for every tipe of food she doesn't like (too many).things got better butI still don't digest well.is it normal? really? 3 months???when will it go away?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Post infectious IBS is quite common.It is also common for the colon to be sensitive for 2-6 weeks after a GI infection just from normal healing.PI-IBS is only if it continues past that 6 week mark and often they want to see 6 months of symptoms before diagnosing it so 3 months is not some unusually long time.PI-IBS sometimes is forever but typically resolves within 2-5 years of when it starts. Sometimes sooner, and some people never have it go away, but that is a fairly typcial resolution time. You are healing the nervous system that controls the gut and nerve healing is never quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first of all thanks for your respond.I've heared about PI-IBS. it seems to get better but it is like my body "reject" all kind of fatty, sugery foods.also I can't eat in big amounts, it's also makes me D.I have feelings-related IBS but not like that...I don't feel that feeling is the only thing here- I could be in a great day and eat somthing a bit wrong and that's it.so... how is the nerve got to do with that..?could it dissapear one day just like it came earlier than 2 years? like in a few weeks?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When there is an infection your body does an all out assault on the bacteria/virus.Much of the "feeling really sick" when you are sick is as much from the damage your body does to you with all the chemical warfare and other things it releases on the invaders as it is from the actual bacteria/virus, etc.There are a lot of nerves in the gut. Almost as many as you have in your head. Your body needs all these bazillion or so nerves working properly and working with each other properly for you to get poop to the end of the colon at the perfect consistency on a regular basis.When anything is damaged in the nervous system controlling and sensing the gut you get diarrhea or constipation and you get pain because things aren't being sensed properly.All that damage happens in a short period of time (hours to days) but takes a long time to heal. You fall and break your arm you break it in a matter of seconds but still have to wear a cast for a couple of months. Nerves heal more slowly than bones.There is something called the "Gastrocolic reflex". This is one of the things it takes the bazillion nerves to pull off properly. It is a little too much you get diarrhea, too little you can constipate.When you eat food, every single time you eat food, your stomach tattles on you to the rest of the GI tract and that sets off all sorts of thins in motion. Including causing the colon to have a spike in activity.Some things make a bigger activity spike in all people, but in IBSers that bigger spike is too big and leads to diarrhea.Things that make a bigger activity spike in the colon after you eat.Eating a large mealEating a fatty mealWaiting a long time before you eat a meal.It usually doesn't just shut off and go from full IBS as bad as ever to zero symptoms ever again. It gets better over time. Much like when you have the flu and you are tired for a few days, but each day after the fever breaks you feel a little bit better and after a couple of weeks you are back to normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kathleen, That is such an incredibly helpful explanation. Thank you. I am in a similar situation to Shaniz, though the diagnosis isn't completely clear yet. The tests for the obvious infectious disease causes have now come back negative, so it's looking more like IBS. A follow-up question for you if you don't mind: Like Shaniz, it seems to me like it almost doesn't matter what I eat, I get sick. Heavy and fatty foods make it worse, but so does eating a banana or a bowl of rice, just not as much. Given that stopping eating isn't really an option, and that I've already cut out the obvious like dairy, coffee, alcohol, fatty foods, processed foods, processed sugar.....well, i just can't figure out what I CAN eat! and I can't really afford to lose more weight. Do you have any suggestions for things that are usually "safe" to eat or is the solution too individualized to be able to say?Shaniz, each person is different of course, but i just started drinking lots and LOTS of ginger tea (fresh ginger put into boiling water) and it seems to be helping some. At least for right now, today. We'll see what tomorrow brings... Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.