Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an article on Medline. (You may have to join Medline to view it):IBS - A Postinfectious and Inflammatory Disorder? Digestive Disease Week 2000Day 3 - May 23, 2000....the headings are:Can Infection Change Gut Sensory Perception?Is There Evidence of Increased Inflammation in IBS?Post-Campylobacter Enteritis and IBS"Conclusions:The results of these new studies are exciting. There appears to be increasing evidence that IBS and probably other functional gastrointestinal disorders are, at least in a subset, due to structural disease. Host and bacterial factors may both be important. The development of new disease markers appears likely from the novel work in progress. This in turn should lead to characterization of more homogenous groups of patients and the development of better-targeted therapeutic approaches (perhaps NK-1 antagonists). Clinicians should watch this space!"Jackie http://bara.idx.com.au/dfragilis/info.htm

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Good post Jackie. At least they are studying this. I really hated reading the paragraph before the conclusion though. I went back to re-read it to try and be more objective instead of my instant response of anger to this notion. In my experience, I was not psychologically disturbed before IBS and I am not now that my worst symptoms were resolved post-infection. For 20 years, I managed my IBS by myself. It was not until after a complete turn-around of my symptoms presented in a life-altering negative way that I sought help to try an eliminate the persistent pain and stooling. Inevitably, many of the doctors gave the indication that it must be all in my head, since they couldn't come up with anything conclusive. Of course they never tried stopping the antibiotic I was taking, much less checking out it's possible side-effects, do a barium enema, do any hydrogen breath tests, nor did they ever do a stool analysis or biopsy of my colon to check for microscopic bacterium or fungus. In fact they never did more than a partial-incomplete colonoscopy. There-fore, since they chose to over-look this protocol, I get labelled as nothing more than a probable psych case. It is bunk! There is a population of people with psychological problems in every condition. This does not mean that those of us who don't seek constant medical attention for every little thing should be labeled as such just because they don't have all the answers yet, nor does it mean that anyone with both a psych condition and a medical condition should not be treated either. The fact is, many psych patients are on a hoard of medication, may not take them properly, and as a result present with more medical problems. They are also faced with more medical inquiries about how they are feeling since they are in the system already, and are sometimes as a result more upfront and candid about relaying all their ills.Therefore they are correct in the last sentence of that paragraph that they must do a psychological assessment before onset and after remission before they can jump to the conclusion that the patient has created his physical condition.So, all in all, it is promising that they are doing research and plan to do more on the subject of possible underlying infections. Maybe there is hope that there will be more answers about what causes some "IBS" and there will be a possibility of more effectively treating many of the symptoms in the near future. [This message has been edited by moldie (edited 02-20-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts