Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone! im new here but it is so nice to see how many people share my pain. i have suffered for about 4 years and its ruining my life. i have failed out of college and cant hold a job. i suffer ibs d. my main problem is the constant fear of what if i have to use the bathroom where ever i go. i have a HUGE problem with going anywhere but my own house. any help suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Be sure you have been tested so you know you are not dealing with anything else. Then you may want to try the calcium supplement to help control not cure the diarrhea problemThis is what has helped me for more than 3 years with almost daily attacks of urgent DIARRHEA. Calcium is known to be constipating so if you are that IBS type do not take it. Here is the what and how to take the calcium information if you suffer from DIARRHEACalcium is an OTC supplement we all do not usually get enough of. No Rx needed to purchase this.When you take calcium about 40% of the dose gets to the bones the rest is eliminated in our waste. The calcium goes to the intestines and soaks up excess fluids and binds them together and they are gotten rid of in our waste.This is a process that can be continued by taking the calcium carbonate on a regular basis thus giving a more formed BM.There is calcium carbonate which helps us with DIARRHEA and there is calcium citrate which is more easily absorbed by the body and gets to the bones.A lot of the calcium supplements contain a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. Magnesium is not helpful for us with DIARRHEA only causing more in most cases. So do not purchase this combination. It will only make things worse.The dose to take is different for everyone. I must take 3 a day one at each meal and it does not make a difference if I take it before during or after just take it regularly.The most success has come for using any formula of calcium supplement that is like Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals in the purple and white box. I hope this will help anyone wishing to try it and I am always here to answer any questions for you. I have a lot of feed back form many users.There are other things to consider. If you take any other meds check the side effects and also check with the pharmacist to see it taking calcium will interfere with you other medications and how you might take them.The only side effect is at the beginning of taking the calcium you may have some gas or indigestion but this usually goes away soon after taking a regular dose for a few days as your body adjusts to the added calcium.Starting with 1/2 tablet doses with each meal will lessen this problem and it may be enough to control the DIARRHEA attacks without making you constipated. Constipation can be a problem so be careful not to take too much.I had my gall bladder removed in 1976 and from that time on I had suffered urgent attacks of DIARRHEA. Went through a lot of test but nothing else could be found.I took many of the meds for bowel spasms and cramps over the years but nothing ever seemed to help. I started to take a calcium supplement to help prevent bone loss in later years and from the first day I felt relief. I was pretty much a prisoner to the bathroom or had to go without eating to be able to leave the house.I must take 1 tablet with each meal and the DIARRHEA does not come back if I miss taking it I get DIARRHEA.The way it works is the calcium carbonate it a binder and when you take it only about 40% of the calcium gets to the bones and the rest is gotten rid of in our waste. During the process it gets to the intestines and soaks up excess bile and water and helps give a more solid BM. Now that you have no gall bladder the bile fluid goes directly into the intestines and causes irritation and DIARRHEA. The calcium carbonate soaks this up and no more DIARRHEA. It works great for a lot of us and you just have to take the calcium regularly and do not miss. I started with Caltrate 600 Plus with vitamin d and minerals and it does seem to make a difference in the ingredients of calcium... This one seems to do the best job for most. You can buy other store brands of calcium with the same ingredients that work just as well but they need to have the same ingredients. I get Member's Mark Brand from Sam's Club you get 300 tablets for 8.99.Let me know if you need more help.You won't be sorry if you try it. I suggest starting with 1/2 tablet with each meal at first this may be enough to control the diarrhea if not in a few days up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. The side effect is constipation so if you feel it coming on just cut the dose.It is important to use a calcium that is as much alike as the Caltrate brand. Let me list the ingredients:Vitamin D 200 IUCalcium 500 or 600 MG (This should be calcium carbonate form)Magnesium 40 MG (No more than this amount because magnesium will cause you to have DIARRHEA but because calcium is constipating the magnesium helps to counter act that effect)Zinc 7.5 MGCopper 1 MGManganese 1.8 MGBoron 250 MCG.There are other brands with the same ingredients so get something as close as you can. Then start with 1/2 tablet with each meal and in a few days if this is not enough to control your DIARRHEA then up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. If you feel you are becoming constipated the cut back on the dose. It has been working since the first day I started taking it July 1998 and as long as I take 3 a day (this is the amount I must take it may be different for you) I remain DIARRHEA free. No cramps, bloating or DIARRHEA.The dose you take with each meal is not the dose that is helping you at that meal it is the prior ones that have time to works their way through you system to soak up excess bile and water in the intestines.It also works for those of you who still have the gall bladder.It is worth a try and I have been getting some good feedback from Lotronex users who are getting some help with the calcium. You may want to read some of the post on www.ibsgroup.org message board about how much it has helped so many.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Be sure you have been tested so you know you are not dealing with anything else. Then you may want to try the calcium supplement to help control not cure the diarrhea problemThis is what has helped me for more than 3 years with almost daily attacks of urgent DIARRHEA. Calcium is known to be constipating so if you are that IBS type do not take it. Here is the what and how to take the calcium information if you suffer from DIARRHEACalcium is an OTC supplement we all do not usually get enough of. No Rx needed to purchase this.When you take calcium about 40% of the dose gets to the bones the rest is eliminated in our waste. The calcium goes to the intestines and soaks up excess fluids and binds them together and they are gotten rid of in our waste.This is a process that can be continued by taking the calcium carbonate on a regular basis thus giving a more formed BM.There is calcium carbonate which helps us with DIARRHEA and there is calcium citrate which is more easily absorbed by the body and gets to the bones.A lot of the calcium supplements contain a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. Magnesium is not helpful for us with DIARRHEA only causing more in most cases. So do not purchase this combination. It will only make things worse.The dose to take is different for everyone. I must take 3 a day one at each meal and it does not make a difference if I take it before during or after just take it regularly.The most success has come for using any formula of calcium supplement that is like Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals in the purple and white box. I hope this will help anyone wishing to try it and I am always here to answer any questions for you. I have a lot of feed back form many users.There are other things to consider. If you take any other meds check the side effects and also check with the pharmacist to see it taking calcium will interfere with you other medications and how you might take them.The only side effect is at the beginning of taking the calcium you may have some gas or indigestion but this usually goes away soon after taking a regular dose for a few days as your body adjusts to the added calcium.Starting with 1/2 tablet doses with each meal will lessen this problem and it may be enough to control the DIARRHEA attacks without making you constipated. Constipation can be a problem so be careful not to take too much.I had my gall bladder removed in 1976 and from that time on I had suffered urgent attacks of DIARRHEA. Went through a lot of test but nothing else could be found.I took many of the meds for bowel spasms and cramps over the years but nothing ever seemed to help. I started to take a calcium supplement to help prevent bone loss in later years and from the first day I felt relief. I was pretty much a prisoner to the bathroom or had to go without eating to be able to leave the house.I must take 1 tablet with each meal and the DIARRHEA does not come back if I miss taking it I get DIARRHEA.The way it works is the calcium carbonate it a binder and when you take it only about 40% of the calcium gets to the bones and the rest is gotten rid of in our waste. During the process it gets to the intestines and soaks up excess bile and water and helps give a more solid BM. Now that you have no gall bladder the bile fluid goes directly into the intestines and causes irritation and DIARRHEA. The calcium carbonate soaks this up and no more DIARRHEA. It works great for a lot of us and you just have to take the calcium regularly and do not miss. I started with Caltrate 600 Plus with vitamin d and minerals and it does seem to make a difference in the ingredients of calcium... This one seems to do the best job for most. You can buy other store brands of calcium with the same ingredients that work just as well but they need to have the same ingredients. I get Member's Mark Brand from Sam's Club you get 300 tablets for 8.99.Let me know if you need more help.You won't be sorry if you try it. I suggest starting with 1/2 tablet with each meal at first this may be enough to control the diarrhea if not in a few days up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. The side effect is constipation so if you feel it coming on just cut the dose.It is important to use a calcium that is as much alike as the Caltrate brand. Let me list the ingredients:Vitamin D 200 IUCalcium 500 or 600 MG (This should be calcium carbonate form)Magnesium 40 MG (No more than this amount because magnesium will cause you to have DIARRHEA but because calcium is constipating the magnesium helps to counter act that effect)Zinc 7.5 MGCopper 1 MGManganese 1.8 MGBoron 250 MCG.There are other brands with the same ingredients so get something as close as you can. Then start with 1/2 tablet with each meal and in a few days if this is not enough to control your DIARRHEA then up the dose to 1 tablet with each meal. If you feel you are becoming constipated the cut back on the dose. It has been working since the first day I started taking it July 1998 and as long as I take 3 a day (this is the amount I must take it may be different for you) I remain DIARRHEA free. No cramps, bloating or DIARRHEA.The dose you take with each meal is not the dose that is helping you at that meal it is the prior ones that have time to works their way through you system to soak up excess bile and water in the intestines.It also works for those of you who still have the gall bladder.It is worth a try and I have been getting some good feedback from Lotronex users who are getting some help with the calcium. You may want to read some of the post on www.ibsgroup.org message board about how much it has helped so many.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW! first of all i would just like to say thank you for your lengthy response. i really appreciate your help and concern. to give a little more background i have been diagnosed with IBS-d. my dr. started me with taking citrucel(?) for the d and zoloft for my anxiety. it really helped nothing. so then on my own i have been taking calcium for about 2 months it has help slightly with making my bowel movements firmer but i still have the problem of sudden attacks even if its not necessarily diarhea. so for the most part none of the 3 things i have tried help at all. i have another dr. apt. wed are there any medications i could ask for that you know help? is there any hope of this problem being over for good? thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! first of all i would just like to say thank you for your lengthy response. i really appreciate your help and concern. to give a little more background i have been diagnosed with IBS-d. my dr. started me with taking citrucel(?) for the d and zoloft for my anxiety. it really helped nothing. so then on my own i have been taking calcium for about 2 months it has help slightly with making my bowel movements firmer but i still have the problem of sudden attacks even if its not necessarily diarhea. so for the most part none of the 3 things i have tried help at all. i have another dr. apt. wed are there any medications i could ask for that you know help? is there any hope of this problem being over for good? thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi"i'm new here...", this is not the first time i'm earing this....Welcome to the board. So you have had IBS for 4 years? That's it! I have it for 21!!!! My entire professional life has been AND is a ####! I get that #### IBS 8 months after having a job. At that time there was not Internet neither this board. So think about ... You'r a bit lucky to get help like this. So what can be said? There is no *real* cure. I have tried manything (pills, yoga, sport, long holidays, etc....). I'm on IBSACOL now, an other pill...So if you found a *cure* let me know.Can't be no help, right now because i'm fed up to be sick. Not only IBS, but i got other stupidities since i'm older than you are.--------- sorry for been fed up

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi"i'm new here...", this is not the first time i'm earing this....Welcome to the board. So you have had IBS for 4 years? That's it! I have it for 21!!!! My entire professional life has been AND is a ####! I get that #### IBS 8 months after having a job. At that time there was not Internet neither this board. So think about ... You'r a bit lucky to get help like this. So what can be said? There is no *real* cure. I have tried manything (pills, yoga, sport, long holidays, etc....). I'm on IBSACOL now, an other pill...So if you found a *cure* let me know.Can't be no help, right now because i'm fed up to be sick. Not only IBS, but i got other stupidities since i'm older than you are.--------- sorry for been fed up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first of all bernard i wasnt asking for criticism. i was looking for people i could relate to. i am soo sorry you have been suffering for that long and i havent.... but you know what its not my fault so get over it. i was under the impression that this was an understanding board with compassionate people. for the most part i think i was right. too bad you are on here to ruin it. why dont you take your negative attitude somewhere elce b/c it sure isnt helping here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first of all bernard i wasnt asking for criticism. i was looking for people i could relate to. i am soo sorry you have been suffering for that long and i havent.... but you know what its not my fault so get over it. i was under the impression that this was an understanding board with compassionate people. for the most part i think i was right. too bad you are on here to ruin it. why dont you take your negative attitude somewhere elce b/c it sure isnt helping here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
To wobbles11-------- i have a HUGE problem with going anywhere but my own house. any help suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated!!THANK YOU--------What i don't like is when i read something like this. Do you think you'r alone to be like this? The first thing to do is to read OTHER MESSAGES from this board before asking questions like this. That's the good way to do things. Then you can find help AND GIVE HELP TO OTHERS....----------

·
Registered
442 Posts
To wobbles11-------- i have a HUGE problem with going anywhere but my own house. any help suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated!!THANK YOU--------What i don't like is when i read something like this. Do you think you'r alone to be like this? The first thing to do is to read OTHER MESSAGES from this board before asking questions like this. That's the good way to do things. Then you can find help AND GIVE HELP TO OTHERS....----------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All i was doing was trying to explain my personal symptoms. obviously im here to find others who can relate. what is soo wrong with putting my problems out there and asking for help? if you dont like what i have to say then leave me alone. all im looking for is help and support...not criticism.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All i was doing was trying to explain my personal symptoms. obviously im here to find others who can relate. what is soo wrong with putting my problems out there and asking for help? if you dont like what i have to say then leave me alone. all im looking for is help and support...not criticism.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wobbles-Welcome to the board! I'm sorry that you've just faced such criticism. I know that most people on this board are incredibly helpful!So keep posting your questions and hopefully there is someone out there reading that can be of help to you. IBS is a stressful thing to have and deal with. This should be a place of helpful suggestions and most of all support knowing you're not the only one out there dealing with this.So post all you want!!!!!Bernard-- If you can't be helpful and encouraging, then don't post!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wobbles-Welcome to the board! I'm sorry that you've just faced such criticism. I know that most people on this board are incredibly helpful!So keep posting your questions and hopefully there is someone out there reading that can be of help to you. IBS is a stressful thing to have and deal with. This should be a place of helpful suggestions and most of all support knowing you're not the only one out there dealing with this.So post all you want!!!!!Bernard-- If you can't be helpful and encouraging, then don't post!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you very much for the kind words. im glad to know it isnt my fault and someone is on my side... thanks again

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you very much for the kind words. im glad to know it isnt my fault and someone is on my side... thanks again

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome Wobbles-Don't ever be afraid to ask questions-even if you think they may have been asked a thousand times before. I'm sorry you were met with a defensive response.I've had IBS for 18 years-a little less than some. Mine has been improved greatly by using Questran, and I use Librax to try to help with urgency and frequency. It's still not the life I had before IBS, but it's much better than before I started using these meds.Please try to understand that there are many people who have suffered so much for so long that they sometimes vent pent-up feelings in a way that can seem very hurtful to others--and I'm afraid you experienced that firsthand. Bernards life is not the only one that has been screwed up by IBS. I never even had the chance of starting a career. And there are some sufferers who "get" IBS when they are still in their teens. We all have our stories, good and bad--and you will find that almost all posters on this board are more than willing to share both with you.Again, welcome

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome Wobbles-Don't ever be afraid to ask questions-even if you think they may have been asked a thousand times before. I'm sorry you were met with a defensive response.I've had IBS for 18 years-a little less than some. Mine has been improved greatly by using Questran, and I use Librax to try to help with urgency and frequency. It's still not the life I had before IBS, but it's much better than before I started using these meds.Please try to understand that there are many people who have suffered so much for so long that they sometimes vent pent-up feelings in a way that can seem very hurtful to others--and I'm afraid you experienced that firsthand. Bernards life is not the only one that has been screwed up by IBS. I never even had the chance of starting a career. And there are some sufferers who "get" IBS when they are still in their teens. We all have our stories, good and bad--and you will find that almost all posters on this board are more than willing to share both with you.Again, welcome

1 - 20 of 23 Posts