Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within a year, I've had a nissen fundoplication to repair acid-reflux as well as three seperate operations for abdominal hernias (ventral and umbilical). Although I've always felt sensitive to lactose, I am now experiencing moderate to severe abdominal pains, gas/bloating, changes in bowel consistency, etc. that seems to be brought on by ANY food and some liquids. I'm generally pain/symptom free in the morning, and the pain/symptoms get worse as I eat or the day progresses.My only relief from these symptoms is to leave the country (I wish I were kidding). My days in the US are nearly 100% full of symptoms, while travelling outside of the US are nearly 100% symptom free. I thought it was a reduction in stress (first time I noticed was on a cruise, second time was a business trip to Italy), but even when I've deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, I've experiened VERY few symptoms, if any at all.I've been tested for various things (can't be certain of what exactly so I'll need to look into that), including a colonoscopy and two upper endoscopys. I've also been tested for allergies, and only have shown positive for non-food items.Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I would put a small pile of money on food additives, myself. I don't know how and where the US Forces buys the food for their troops in the Middle East; but a lot of the chemicals we find in our foods are certainly not allowed in Europe. As has been shown in finance and mines and wells in the past few years, the regulators seem to be less motivated by safety than by company interests. It wouldn't surprise me if the chemical/agriculture business has "taken care" of their regulations as well.Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
overitnow,Thanks very much for the reply.Additives are something I've certainly considered; it's great having some independent confirmation. I will have to do some more research along these lines.I thought it was odd how I had ate on the Italian economy completely symptom-free for nearly a week. After a SINGLE MEAL eating at an American military eatery (while still in Italy), I had problems. I think there may be something to this..I've also suspected a sensitivity to fructose.Thanks again! Am willing to hear more (and any!) suggestions!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I do think the US uses a lot more high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener than the rest of the world. That my be something to look into. Especially if you have control over your diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts