Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys I am new here and I need your help & advice.I have been suffering from IBS for about 3 years - since the 1st year of uni - my I cover most IBS symptoms, but by far the excess gas and flatulance as well as abdominal pain out weigh the rest. I have read a lot of the comments on the board but most suggested treatments are for IBS-D (diahorea right?). In the beginning i was placed on anti-spadmodics like spasminol - they did not work, in fact made things worse. The Dr were useless and told me that these were the only drugs in the market for IBS suffered. For the past year and I have I have been studying myself, and gone herbal - seeing herbalist, homepaths and what not, my symptoms have improved a little, but I feel that I am avoiding so many things (food) that makes life worth living. I have read about Lotronex, Zofran and Remeron on your site (none of which have been suggested to me by GPs) - do they also apply to symptoms of mainly excess gas??P

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Those drugs are mostly for Diarrhea predominate IBS.Lotronex is specifically for it.The other two are similar chemically but are used for treating depression and nausea associated with chemotherapy. These other "setrons" have helped some people with diarrhea predominate IBS.For gas the only drug I know of that targets gas specifically is Simethicone which is found in many OTC products (Gas-X, Phazyme, etc). This drug is not absorbed into the body and appears to be pretty safe with few side effects.Some people find that probiotics help. The quality of these products can vary from company to company (like all dietary supplements there is no regulatory agency ensuring that what is on the label is what is in them). Certain brands seem to have helped some people here: Culturelle (www.culturelle.com) Probiotica (from the Imodium people and found at most pharmacies that carry Imodium) and PB8 (www.reach4life.com).In one study IBSers with gas were tested with a particular probiotic (which I think was a made in the lab thing, not a commercial product) that reduced the gas for most of the people in the study.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Those drugs are mostly for Diarrhea predominate IBS.Lotronex is specifically for it.The other two are similar chemically but are used for treating depression and nausea associated with chemotherapy. These other "setrons" have helped some people with diarrhea predominate IBS.For gas the only drug I know of that targets gas specifically is Simethicone which is found in many OTC products (Gas-X, Phazyme, etc). This drug is not absorbed into the body and appears to be pretty safe with few side effects.Some people find that probiotics help. The quality of these products can vary from company to company (like all dietary supplements there is no regulatory agency ensuring that what is on the label is what is in them). Certain brands seem to have helped some people here: Culturelle (www.culturelle.com) Probiotica (from the Imodium people and found at most pharmacies that carry Imodium) and PB8 (www.reach4life.com).In one study IBSers with gas were tested with a particular probiotic (which I think was a made in the lab thing, not a commercial product) that reduced the gas for most of the people in the study.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
721 Posts
You may have an overgrowth of bacteria in your small intestine. It would be interesting to see if a ten day dose of flagyl or neomycin gets rid of the gas at least temporarily

·
Registered
721 Posts
You may have an overgrowth of bacteria in your small intestine. It would be interesting to see if a ten day dose of flagyl or neomycin gets rid of the gas at least temporarily

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Pete and Kmottus, I will definately be putting suggestions to the test... I've tried everything else! Pete, you may have a point about the bacteria over growth .... I have been a candida sufferer for years, symptons have cooled down a little with herbal treatment. I'll give it a go, thanks again.Patsy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Pete and Kmottus, I will definately be putting suggestions to the test... I've tried everything else! Pete, you may have a point about the bacteria over growth .... I have been a candida sufferer for years, symptons have cooled down a little with herbal treatment. I'll give it a go, thanks again.Patsy

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:and gone herbal - seeing herbalist, homepaths and what not, my symptoms have improved a little,
Well, you probably won't like my advice, but I'm only trying to help. I would without a doubt dump the herbalist. Do an elimination diet, that's probably why you see an improvement anyway, that you've just removed some gas producing carbs or something. Also, your candida diagnosis is almost surely bogus if it came from the herbalist. Can you be more specific about you gas problem, how much gas do you have?You might want to try only eating during meals to see if that helps.[This message has been edited by Ugh (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:and gone herbal - seeing herbalist, homepaths and what not, my symptoms have improved a little,
Well, you probably won't like my advice, but I'm only trying to help. I would without a doubt dump the herbalist. Do an elimination diet, that's probably why you see an improvement anyway, that you've just removed some gas producing carbs or something. Also, your candida diagnosis is almost surely bogus if it came from the herbalist. Can you be more specific about you gas problem, how much gas do you have?You might want to try only eating during meals to see if that helps.[This message has been edited by Ugh (edited 07-09-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ugh,You are probably right about the candida thing....I suffered (& still do) from recurrent thrush for years hence the link.. i've been thorough the whole elimination diet (& Candida diet)and sort of know what I am intolerant to, but the problem is my food intolerances keep increasing!In response to how much gas I produce....a lot I maybe gas 50-60 times a day if I eat certain things some obvious causes and some not.I've just been reading about IBS and Hypnotherapy....my first thoughts are I do not want to mess with my mind....but..any input guys???Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ugh,You are probably right about the candida thing....I suffered (& still do) from recurrent thrush for years hence the link.. i've been thorough the whole elimination diet (& Candida diet)and sort of know what I am intolerant to, but the problem is my food intolerances keep increasing!In response to how much gas I produce....a lot I maybe gas 50-60 times a day if I eat certain things some obvious causes and some not.I've just been reading about IBS and Hypnotherapy....my first thoughts are I do not want to mess with my mind....but..any input guys???Pat

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Your not messing with your mind in the sense it sounds like you mean.Your mind can do basically one of two things with symptoms, particularly ones that have lots of nerves involved in them (it takes as many nerves to run the GI tract as it does to run the rest of the body) Either it can do things that ramp up the symptoms or it can do things that ramp down the symptoms. What you learn in hypnosis is how to be ramping things down rather than ramping things up and much of that is stuff that very few of us controll well unless we have had training to do that.Probiotics can help dramatically reduce gas for some people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Your not messing with your mind in the sense it sounds like you mean.Your mind can do basically one of two things with symptoms, particularly ones that have lots of nerves involved in them (it takes as many nerves to run the GI tract as it does to run the rest of the body) Either it can do things that ramp up the symptoms or it can do things that ramp down the symptoms. What you learn in hypnosis is how to be ramping things down rather than ramping things up and much of that is stuff that very few of us controll well unless we have had training to do that.Probiotics can help dramatically reduce gas for some people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:It would be interesting to see if a ten day dose of flagyl or neomycin gets rid of the
Pete, I don't think this is a good suggestion. First, you want to establish there is gas. Most people complain of excess gas have normal amounts. And then how do you know the source? I think you are the only person on the board to have whatever it is you have.
quote:a day if I eat certain things some obvious causes and some not.
What if you fast from food for two days?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:It would be interesting to see if a ten day dose of flagyl or neomycin gets rid of the
Pete, I don't think this is a good suggestion. First, you want to establish there is gas. Most people complain of excess gas have normal amounts. And then how do you know the source? I think you are the only person on the board to have whatever it is you have.
quote:a day if I eat certain things some obvious causes and some not.
What if you fast from food for two days?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 07-12-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts