Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, around this, time a doctor from the U.K. posted an excellent plan for controlling IBS symptoms by making dietary and lifestyle changes. This is not a quick fix and takes time to put into practice, but it's what broke me out of a terrible cycle of symptoms last year and led to tremendous improvements in my condition. I tried to find it using the search function but was unable to do so. Luckily, I had printed out the original and kept it and am re-typing it here. Here goes...Here is what you need to control IBS instead of it being the other way around. Before each meal take one tablespoon of carob powder (which can be purchased at the health food store) and mix with one tablespoon of apple sauce, or honey, or maple syrup. Carob is a vegetable starch that soothes the intestines. Take one PB-8 or Culturelle per day with breakfast. Take one teaspoon to tablespoons (gradually increase over one week's time) of Miller's bran in a hot breakfast cereal (I prefer otameal) every morning. It's important to cook the bran in with the cereal to soften any rough edges to the fiber so it won't cause upset. Take calcium plus D three times a day with meals -- carbonate if you have D, citrate if you're predominatnly C. If you have gas and bloating, take two enteric-coated peppermint capsules per day -- one half an hour before lunch and the other half an hour before supper. In addition, place yourself on an elimination diet with rice, rice water (add extra water to rice, cook, drain and drink), blueberries and a few other bland, easily digested foods such as baked chicken or fish, steamed squash, sweet potatoes, etc. No caffeine -- no coffee, tea, chocolate, or soda. Let your system regulate for a few days and then add one food per day or every couple of days and record results and reactions in a food diary. The food diary helps you pinpoint any offending food so that you know to avoid it in the future. Record food, supplements, water intae (should be at least 8 glasses per day, preferavly between meals instead of during emals because water during meals can dilute digestive juices), bodily function, food response, exericise (at elast 20 minutes a day -- yoga, walking), and stress factors as they arise. Relaxation techniques help ease the emotional and physical effects of IBS and other stressors. The above plan is more than just a remedy for IBS it is a recipe for overall good health. Your energy will return, your gut will calm down and, most importantly, you'll feel like you've got your life back.[This message has been edited by LDanna (edited 02-01-2000).][This message has been edited by LDanna (edited 02-01-2000).][This message has been edited by LDanna (edited 02-01-2000).]

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
LDanna, I know this plan worked for you, unfortunately it didn't for me, although maybe I didn't give it enough time. Most of my problem is I'm usually looking for a quick fix, which I have to accept is not going to happen. Anyway, just a couple of things I wanted to add to your post. This was known as ****'s plan and just to set the record straight, **** told me he was not a doctor. He also advised me, being a predominatly a C-type not to eat rice, as it is constipating. He said a cup or two of coffee a day is OK for the C-types also, as hot coffee can stimualte the bowels. He also suggested the C-types take flax seed oil for lubrication. Although **** was not a doctor, he seemed to be very knowledgeable with the workings of the bowel and intestines. He was very helpful also. He always returned my e-mail questions to him. Whatever happened to him????------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rose, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know whether he was a doctor or just had a medical background. He has a practice of sorts because he used to talk about IBS patients who were referred to him for some type of therapy.Unfortunately, I do know what happened to him. He disapeared fromt he Noudouitgang board because of a huge fight he had with Flux (as Maurice Volansky). It was erally too bad that he let the fluxster get to him like that.Yes, the plan does take time, although I began to see improvement within two weeks. I'm afraid there just isn't anything quick about handling IBS, but the plan is sensible and can be easily tailored to the indivdual.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, kwilim! Your page is just great and filled with the sort of information that's hard to find all in one place. Sort of an "IBS' Greatest Hits."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts