Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if what I am about to post has been posted by others in the past, but I haven't been on the IBSgroup for quite awhile. You may know that there is frequently an association between IBS, fibromyalgia, and even migraines. After a year of intensively trying to solve both my GI problems as well as pseudo-migraine-like headaches, I only recently determined (on my own) that I very strongly believe ALL of my symptoms are caused by fibromyalgia. Contrary to common knowledge, there IS a treatment for it. A doctor in CA who both has his own practice and is an assistant professor at UCLA medical school has, over the course of 40+ years, stumbled across and refined a successful treatment for fibromyalgia. Unfortunately, he is having difficulty getting it accepted in the mainstream. I will include the link to his site. I cannot suggest strongly enough to anyone with IBS to thoroughly check this out. Even if you don't think that you have "classic" fibromyalgia symptoms, you owe it to yourself to at least investigate this as you may find it the solution to all of your problems! I strongly believe it is mine. The more word gets out, the more people can be helped. I myself have recently started the treatment and have good reasons to believe it is doing what the doctor says it does. This is not another natural remedy advocating quack who is trying to sell something. On the contrary, he isn't selling anything and he has a legitimate, logical, biochemical explanation for the entire syndrome. http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/GuaiProtocol.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Renee,I read the book by Dr. Amand -- "What Your Doctor May NOT Be telling You About Fibromyalgia" and thought that it was very interesting. Like yourself, I think that there is a relationship between various disorders. Please keep us posted on how you make out with the regimen.JOHN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Renee, this is interesting, I've few of those symptoms mention IBS, Headaches, dizziness, nasal congestion, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and panic attack. I wonder anyone else having these packages?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Fascinating reading. I remember talking with someone with fibro who treats hers with the same flavonoid and vitamin/mineral supplements I use, about the brain/blood circulation findings linking CFS & IBS that I had read about; and she, too, said that it was believed that IBS & CFS were all aspects of Fibro.I find it also very interesting that the very supplement that has been so beneficial to me, a combination of bioflavonoids including ginko biloba, are specifically proscribed in his protocol. Presumably, the guaifenesin must be reactive to the same elements from the flavonoids that operate on the Fibro/IBS symptoms.It will be interesting to see how this works for you, long term.Thanks for the post.Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by "I find it also very interesting that the very supplement that has been so beneficial to me, a combination of bioflavonoids including ginko biloba, are specifically proscribed in his protocol. Presumably, the guaifenesin must be reactive to the same elements from the flavonoids that operate on the Fibro/IBS symptoms." You don't mean that they are the same as the Guaifenesin Protocol as per the website link I included do you? Because if so, that is incorrect. Bioflavonoids and herbal supplements such as ginko biloba MUST be strictly avoided on the guaifenesin protocol or they will block the effectiveness of the medication for the treatment of fibromyalgia. ALL salicylates must be strictly avoided. They don't interfere with guaifenesin for the purpose of loosening mucus, but they DO block its effectiveness for treating fibro_On another note, I should also have mentioned that this doctor said a high percentage of people with fibro also are hypoglycemic, even if they don't test positive with the standard glucose tolerance test. In the early years of his work with this he discovered that the glucose tolerance test was unreliable (he is actually an endocrinologist). He made more frequent blood draws than is conventional to do and by so doing was able to diagnose more people as having hypoglycemia who would have fallen through the cracks otherwise. But now he determines it based on symptoms. I've had several people on the protocol from the support group associated with the doctor's website email me and tell me that their IBS problems actually went away on the doctor's hypoglycemia diet. I have been hesitant and loathe to try it because I don't like giving up things I like. Also, I had been put on a similar diet for a month by a nutritionist. I had no improvement in my gastrointestinal symptoms from that diet. However, there are some important differences between the "yeast" and wheat diet the nutritionist put me on and the hypoglycemia diet the fibro doctor advocates. I plan on giving it a 2 month trial starting soon. That doctor (Dr. St Amand) says that there are many overlapping symptoms between fibro and hypoglycemia and several of them are IBS type symptoms. Thus, one can't be entirely sure whether it is the fibromyalgia or the hypoglycemia which is causing the IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I was intrigued as to what in the treatment for IBS that I find so helpful would be counterproductive in this protocol. And then it is interesting that the two would be mutually exclusive and I wonder why. Interesting, also, about the diet. We have started the Eating 4 Your Blood Type diet, which excludes a number of problematic foods (wheat, corn, and milk products are majors for me, an O type). It has gone a long way in reversing my gassiness, which is the one thing that the flavonoids have not been able to address. I would not be surprised to see that my other symptoms begin to reverse once I have been on it for awhile.Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.