Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

IBS, nausea, and anxiety

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  katyd1d 
#1 ·
I am 21 years old, and it has been a year since I started having a lot of problems with my stomach. I've always had a sensitive stomach, but it's gotten obviously worse in the last year. At the time it started getting worse, I had just gotten engaged and I thought it was being caused by excitement and nerves for the wedding. Symptoms started in August of 2009, and by November, I had been to the ER three times. Of course all they did every time I went in was put my on IV fluids and gave me Odansetron (for nausea). Odansetron didn't really do anything, except give me a splitting headache. I've been going to the doctor pretty much 2-3, if not 4-6 times a month for the last year. I've had an upper endoscopy, multiple blood and urine tests, ultrasounds, CT scans, and I had a gallbladder scan (where they inject dye through an IV and test how fast the dye passes through the gallbladder, tests efficiency of the gallbladder). All that's come back from those tests is that I have a sluggish gallbladder (but no stones) and the upper endoscopy showed problems with inflammation of the stomach and esophagus. Finally I presented the idea of IBS or IBD to my doctor, and he prescribed Librax (CLIDINIUM / CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE). Also taking Phenergan (PROMETHAZINE) that was prescribed in 2009 when I asked for a different nausea medication so I wouldn't get headaches. The worst part of this problem is the anxiety of leaving my house. One of the worst days I've ever had with my stomach was supposed to be the best day of my life. On my wedding day, I was so sick that my dads (I'm adopted and still am good friends with my biological father) had to practically carry me down the isle, and my husband had to help hold me up during the ceremony, I kept almost passing out. Unfortunately, Librax and Phenergan both have side effects, and possible long term complications. I have tried different diets to help ease the nausea, but I've had days where all I had was a salad, and still got really sick. Does anyone have suggestions? What CAN I eat? Plus, most people with IBS or IBD lose weight. When I first found out that I had IBD, I was excited to think it could help me lose weight (I'd LOVE to lose over 100 pounds), but I haven't lost any weight, in fact I gained 30lbs from August-January, and I've maintained that for the last 8 months. Is anyone else having my same problems?

See less See more
#6 ·
I have not been to a gastroenterologist, but all they will want to do is a colonoscopy, and a family member of mine got worse after they had that test. After being sick for so long, and my doctors not doing anything to help me, me and my husband did a lot of research, and IBD fits my symptoms perfectly. The doctor put me on Librax for IBD, and it really helps, but sometimes I'm still really sick. There's a point where you have to give up on the doctors and diagnose yourself, because sometimes they can't and won't do it for you. Did you have a colonoscopy? Did it work out well for you? I just don't want to do something to my body that I'll regret, because I'm already sick enough.

#4 ·
I hear you and I'm in the same position. I'm 38, overweight, and have had IBS since childhood. About 7 years ago I came down with a stomach virus. The vomiting and fever cleared up quickly but the nausea and diarrhea went on for months. During that time I lost 90lbs becuae I could barely eat half a small bowl of soup or mashed potatoes without triggering a bout of chills and nausea. Unfortunately, as the IBS attack cleared up, my weight once again climbed.Reagrding overweight IBS patients, I'm sure I at least trigger some of my attacks by the foods I eat. Caffeine, greasy foods, and red meat seem to be my major triggers. I also wonder, though, whether some of us are overweight because of an intolerance to healthy foods? I went through a period where vegetables and fruits, which I love, made me miserable. I was stuck eating junk because that's all I could tolerate.Anyway, I'm new here and just starting to research IBS.

#9 ·
I had no problems with my colonoscopy. Once the awful prep was done, I had some relief for a couple days (being empty, I guess). After that and a capsule endoscopy, I was glad to rule out IBD (autoimmune disorder) and get the diagnosis of IBS.It just helps to know what's wrong (and what isn't), and to rule out some of the scarier stuff. I have lost weight from food being too painful to eat for several months. I don't eat any fast food, or anything fried or rich. Rice is my main staple, because it's gentlest on my tummy, and I've figured out what fruits/veggies I can tolerate, and get protein where I can. IBS has made me eat healthier-- a small bowl of brown rice compared to a cheeseburger, I'll pick the rice if I want to avoid pain! I've always been overweight, but the 30 pounds I've lost leaves me just overweight, not obese (depending on how it's measured, of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.