Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't really see it as an obsession. I do check the bb at least twice a day since I've started a few weeks ago but for me it's to hear from and speak to nowfound friends who probably know me better than anyone, other than my family, who know's me in person. I found comfort and understanding (and help) here and if talking to all of you gets me through the day, then I'll happily consider myself hooked.Take Care!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I usually check the board more than once a day. I wouldn't call myself "obsessed" though. It's not like when I'm not on the board I'm thinking about it or anything. I usually just go on because I'm bored and I have nothing else to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh yeah I am totally obsessed!! In a good way though. I find it comforting to read about other peoples experiences and I have also found a great deal of useful info on this board and one other one I go to. Coming here makes me want to continue looking for resolution rather than just giving up. And lets face it anything that impedes your life on a daily basis is worthy of obession. I need to kick it's butt and I cannot do it alone. And also these boards have made my boyfriend understand a great deal more about what I go through and for that I am sooo thankful!
Kellie

·
Registered
927 Posts
Funny you should post this. I was thinking this morning on my way to work that I am such a BB addict. I don't have access to it on the weekends. Surprised I don't go through withdrawal
Your fellow BB addict
,Kari

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can relate. My husband thought I was getting obsessed, so I backed off for a while! I find myself missing it, but I worry I spend way to mucch time on the computer so I am trying to occupy my time with other things. Hasn't made the symptoms go away, though!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I think it is fascinating the problems people have. I keep telling myself I won't post, read etc but I keep getting pulled back into it? It is not only an obsesssion, I think it is compulsive-obsessive. No matter what time of the day i log in, some fascinating thread comes up and I am like the moth with the flame(right metaphor or have I mixed them?) I am bound to die one of these days, lol

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi again Tom,I agree, but I think it must have something to do with IBS getting people down. My whole outlook on life was different when I wasn't in pain. When I was in pain...I felt cursed. When I felt really good, Life was a gift.I always say that's what the Irritable in Irritable Bowel stands for (haha). But on a serious note, I was negative for a long time when I started with IBS. The "glass was always empy" in my opinion. I also wondered if those brain scans that show that we are more sensitive to pain (the brain communicates it that way) make some of us more sensitive as far as anger or irritability goes as as well. I shouldn't say we, I mean in my case.For me I think I suffered from depression and that goes along with IBS for some individuals.The best thing to remember for all of us negatives out there is that laughter is the best medicine. My anger would sometimes set off my IBS, but laughing doesn't!!!!I've been feeling good which definitely affects my mood in a positive way.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're right. I was commented more on what seems to be a onrush of new subscribers to the list who don't seem recognize that it is supposed to be a 'support' group. Maybe it's the heat or the economy? tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Tom,I too have noticed a lot of 'new' people on the BB lately. Perhaps it is because the ibsgroup has been getting quite a lot of publicity. In that case I'd say it is only natural for 'new' people to be feeling a little negative. They have basically just 'found out' that they have this horrible problem for which there is no definitive cure and are desperately searching for help.The weather also plays a big part. As I have posted a few times recently hot, and or humid weather really can have an adverse affect on IBS sufferers, particularly those of us who are diarrhea predominant. (as per the excerpt below from Heather Van Vorus Book IBS, The First Year.
quote: The climate in which you live can make a substantial difference in the frequency and severity of your attacks. Hot, humid weather in particular is actually a stress factor in and of itself, because 1) heat stresses the body, and 2) air pressure changes from humidity affect the levels of serotonin in the body (and over 90% of that serotonin is in your gut), which in turn reduces your pain tolerance level. You may also find that, personally, some types of weather just stress you out and make you depressed, irritable, or unhappy. It doesn't matter if your preferences seem typical or even logical (maybe you hate blue skies and love drizzle) - what's important is that you consciously note your feelings and physical reactions so that you can deal with them.
As for being obsessed, yep I too am hooked on the BB here and usually check in every day, specially if I have asked a question I am keen to have answered. Also, I have found so much help here that I like to be able to help others in return where possible. As far as obsessions go too, the BB is probably one of the less detrimental ones too.Take care. :love:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all. From personal experience with fibromyalgia, I used to spend a lot of time on another BB for that, and i realized i needed to strike a balance with other areas of my life. Tough question though, i'm on the computer for a lot of other reasons so it seems natural to come here for support even if i don't post. Maybe i'm just fibro-challenged but it takes time to read the board and sometimes i regret that i don't have enough time to provide information to someone when i click on their post and find i have the info. they're seeking, just not at hand. Tom, i usually leave my home computer running during the day so usually when i open it in the morning i'll check the board if i have time and/or during the day or at night when i shut down. Then there are the days with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome where i wish i had the energy or was awake long enough to even turn on the computer so i guess it depends on your subjective opinion. Gayle

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ijust came across an interesting article which seem to say that the more time and energy people devote to health problems, the worse it gets (not suggesting that the problem is not real)?tom

·
Banned
194 Posts
Perhaps the best way to defeat an illness, is to get outside of it. Not always easy to do... but brings good results. Obsessed... nah.... you're not obsessed, Tom.... you bring good news and interesting information to this board... it all helps people to "get out" of themselves.... :love:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The trouble with IBS is its unpredictablity, and forever having to take into account travel etc. I find it a huge part of my life and it is hard not to worry about the problem, so making it hard to forget about most of the time.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I suppose some clarification is in order. D is not my biggest problem. It's the gas, bloating and distension that cause me the most grief. I alternate between D and C but I've never not been able to make to a bathroom in time. My husband, on the other hand, has been known to stop in cornfields during a long drive..... so I do understand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.