Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board, I think I have IBS from what I have been reading, I have been fighting it for about 10 yrs. What usually happens with me is I wake up in the morning and after about 20 minutes of being awake I start to get cramps in my lower abdomen. Then I have D problems. Sometimes its bearable, and sometimes the pain is so intense that it brings me to my knees. I have never had this problem any time but in the morning, and its only if I wake up early. I am leaving for Basic Training in August, any one else have this problem, and any suggestions on how to get through without being able to take any medication for 15 wks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Basically in everyone you colon "sleeps" when you are asleep (it is much less active) and "wakes up" when you awake (becomes much more active).Not sure how to deal with this with no medication (may need to talk to basic training doctors, I'm sure some people take some medications during basic training, but it probably needs to be approved...unless no one that has any medical condition at all is banned from the military completely).It may be that altering the heaviness of the evening meal might help. Try eating more earlier in the day??You do not have much control over when you get woken up, so getting up a bit earlier or easing into being awake isn't much of an option. But the good news is they usually get you up the same obnoxiously early time every day so that should become your standard pattern pretty quickly, one would hope.I dunno if calcium supplements would be allowed, but that helps some people.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Basically in everyone you colon "sleeps" when you are asleep (it is much less active) and "wakes up" when you awake (becomes much more active).Not sure how to deal with this with no medication (may need to talk to basic training doctors, I'm sure some people take some medications during basic training, but it probably needs to be approved...unless no one that has any medical condition at all is banned from the military completely).It may be that altering the heaviness of the evening meal might help. Try eating more earlier in the day??You do not have much control over when you get woken up, so getting up a bit earlier or easing into being awake isn't much of an option. But the good news is they usually get you up the same obnoxiously early time every day so that should become your standard pattern pretty quickly, one would hope.I dunno if calcium supplements would be allowed, but that helps some people.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thought...I hate hitting reply just to have another thought.If they let you have Altoids, try popping a couple of those before you get out of bed. The peppermint is an antispasmodic. Taking before bed may also help. And I don't think they would count that as medication (but I do not know their policy on breath mints) It has to be Altoids or something with real peppermint oil in it.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thought...I hate hitting reply just to have another thought.If they let you have Altoids, try popping a couple of those before you get out of bed. The peppermint is an antispasmodic. Taking before bed may also help. And I don't think they would count that as medication (but I do not know their policy on breath mints) It has to be Altoids or something with real peppermint oil in it.K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adbrad, I was in a similar situation about seven years ago when I went to the police academy. We had to be up very early for PT and I had little control over when I used the restroom - very difficult situations - but I made it through. I would generally get up about an hour before everyone else and drink a little coffee and smoke part of a cigarette (I'm not condoning, these were just my biggest triggers for BM). I would then spend the next 45 minutes or so alternating walking around and sitting on the john. After about 3 BM's, I could make it to the track or weight room or wherever for PT. The exercising alone seemed to help my IBS alot. However, my IBS got really bad last year to the point where I could no longer function as a police officer, the stress and anxiety became too overwhelming. Anyway, you CAN get through basic training - Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adbrad, I was in a similar situation about seven years ago when I went to the police academy. We had to be up very early for PT and I had little control over when I used the restroom - very difficult situations - but I made it through. I would generally get up about an hour before everyone else and drink a little coffee and smoke part of a cigarette (I'm not condoning, these were just my biggest triggers for BM). I would then spend the next 45 minutes or so alternating walking around and sitting on the john. After about 3 BM's, I could make it to the track or weight room or wherever for PT. The exercising alone seemed to help my IBS alot. However, my IBS got really bad last year to the point where I could no longer function as a police officer, the stress and anxiety became too overwhelming. Anyway, you CAN get through basic training - Good luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Weird- somehow the peppermint altoids aggravate the D and I don't know why. And so do those Listerine strips. Maybe once you go to basic you'll be so focused on your daily routine you won't have the D. But my first thought is you are eating too late before bed- or examine your diet as the first thing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Weird- somehow the peppermint altoids aggravate the D and I don't know why. And so do those Listerine strips. Maybe once you go to basic you'll be so focused on your daily routine you won't have the D. But my first thought is you are eating too late before bed- or examine your diet as the first thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help, I hope the exercise will get me through. Is there anyone else that just has these problems in the morning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help, I hope the exercise will get me through. Is there anyone else that just has these problems in the morning?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Usually no matter what form my IBS deceides, C, D, spasms, incomplete and complete evac's, the trouble generally occurs from one half to 1 hour after I wake up. Usually I pass gas first. Once I start going/or not/ it can happen every 20-40 minutes for 3-4 hours. If I have to do something in the am I need to get up xtra early and often my bowels still "wake Up" at their usual time. I still don't feel "great" for the rest of the day, but usually better. I am much better pain wise on 45-50mg of elavil. There hasn't been much I've found that helps shorten that time in the morning. I am very greatful that for the most part this happens when I am home and doesn't usually (never say never)happen during the rest of the day. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Usually no matter what form my IBS deceides, C, D, spasms, incomplete and complete evac's, the trouble generally occurs from one half to 1 hour after I wake up. Usually I pass gas first. Once I start going/or not/ it can happen every 20-40 minutes for 3-4 hours. If I have to do something in the am I need to get up xtra early and often my bowels still "wake Up" at their usual time. I still don't feel "great" for the rest of the day, but usually better. I am much better pain wise on 45-50mg of elavil. There hasn't been much I've found that helps shorten that time in the morning. I am very greatful that for the most part this happens when I am home and doesn't usually (never say never)happen during the rest of the day. Hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts