Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Confident with your IBS diagnosis?If not, have you ever thought you may have abdominal adhesions? If you have had abdominal surgery, pelvic infections or endometriosis then adhesions may be a contributor to you bowel dysfuncion.There is good info at a number of websites but these are esp helpful:International Adhesions Society: http://www.adhesions.org/UK Adhesions Society:http://www.adhesions.org.uk/Adhesion Surgery at EndoGynhttp://www.adhesions.de/This is the direction I'm going in now as it makes soooooooo much sense.HTHKate

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Katey. This is definately worth considering if you have had any kind of abdominal surgery. I've had 3 c-sections and it's very possible that some of my symptoms come from adhesions, especially the pelvic pain that occurs pretty frequently. Thanks for posting the info.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this information.I had my uterus removed and had lots of repair done at that time resulting in lots of scar tissue and adhesions - the pain never stopped and did indeed overlap my IBS pain. Several years later, I had my ovaries removed as they became entwined together at the top of where my uterus used to be - attached to my bladder and bowel - and they were then subsequently removed along with the adhesions at that time - but they are back - and the docs said nothing can be done.I have some pain meds which I rarely take for that pain - and it is indeed a different type of feeling than the IBS pain was - at least for me.Thanks for the links - you may want to post this in the Women's Forum as well.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Well quite happy that i didn't had bowel surgery.At least i don't have adhesion.

G

·
Wonderful topic as adhesions created my 2 small bowel obstructions. I did have a serious childhood surgery and that formed adhesions. According to my surgeon, steroid injections for muscle skeletal problems will cause more abdominal adhesions. Most other Doctors poo poo that idea. It is so scary as I was OK one day and the next day a very sick emergency. Took 2 surgeries and 23 days in the hospital, I made it. Think of it everyday.Char

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a few surgeries for adhesions prior to my hysterectomy, which was due to pelvic pain/severe abnormal bleeding. Interesting that after the adhesion surgeries, I complained to my ob/gyn about constipation constantly. His advice, take more fiber. My reply, I eat enough fiber to kill a horse! It went unresolved due to dr's disinterest, I think. The hyst. didn't really resolve the pain issues, although it did stop the bleeding!Note: my ob/gyn suddenly quit(!) his practice, giving his patients only 3 weeks notice, and no reason. Hmm......Anyway, I've since wondered if those adhesion problems and surgeries had something to do with my IBS-C and most importantly my colonic inertia.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greets again,For those who say they've had abdo surgery and now got adhesions I just wonder if this is causing your ibs symptoms rather than the gut nerve difficulty that is IBS.I suppose unless bowel obstruction becomes acute you may not want to consider further surgery for adhesions. But in managing your gut dysfunction, it might well be worth considering it from an adhesions view point rather than IBS --- if ya know what I mean ;-)Personally its been a huge breakthrough for me to look at it from this perspective - not only cos potential treatment is different but also cos it just simply makes much more sense.And yes I will post this in the Women's Forum - well reminded.CheersKate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.