Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon this site, and it makes you wonder! Are we being misdiagnosed? I'm printing this article out and bringing it to my gastro!IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME AND DIENTAMOEBA FRAGILIS Borody TJ, Robertson C, Wettstein A, Warren E, Leis S and Surace R.(WINTER 2002 EDITION OF IBIS NEWS AND VIEWS pages 4 & 5) Introduction Diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder which is characterised by diarrhoea, cramping, sub-umbilical discomfort, symptom improvement on defecation and, at times, aggravation on defecation, flatulence, 'explosive' stools and systemic symptoms such as tiredness, nausea and occasional bloating. By definition, diarrhoea-predominant IBS is chronic, has no detectable organic cause and can fluctuate in severity. It can be exacerbated by certain foods, stress or miscellaneous factors and improved by various manoeuvres including restrictive dieting, medications, travel and other factors differing from person to person.It is clear from experience in the literature that chronic infection with Dientamoeba fragilis (DF) can mimic many of the symptoms of diarrhoea-predominant IBS. This parasite was discovered in 1909 but, perhaps because due to the difficulties- associated with-detection, gastroenterologists and microbiologists have not worked together adequately to study it in greater detail. Hence, DF has remained a microbe of interest to microbiologists rather than a pathogen of gastrpentero4ogists and perhaps one on which more clinical research should have been conducted. Most publications on this parasite originate from microbiologists with case reports coming from clinicians.For complete article: http://bara.idx.com.au/info/dfragilis/dr_b..._IBIS_paper.htm

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, it's hard to say because just about every time anything is wrong in the GI system, the symptoms are reletively similar. I would imagine, though, that the bug would cause bleeding or tons of mucous. I only guess this from previous experience. Why not ask your doc what the testing protocol is and check it out. It could totally be worth it. Just a long as you don't go on antibiotics without a positive diagnosis. That scares the life out of me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.