Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone who has ibs ever got tested for giardia, it is a parasistic infection of the intestines, it can mimic alot of the symptoms of ibs, my doctor gave me this medicine called flagul or another name for it is metronidazole, he said if i had this it would take it away, im praying this is what it is, but he said if it is ibs it should also help has anyone been on this

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Did they do a stool test to check for giardia? I had giardia years ago, and it was actually quite different from my IBS.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In the mountains, where I used to live, it was quite common for the locals and tourists to come down with "beaver fever" - giardia. Comes from drinking water from streams and rivers where animals drink. When I had it, my first stool sample was positive, although the doc said he had seen some people test negative as many as 20 times before coming up positive. The symptoms were VERY different than IBS. The nausea was unbelievable, and clear/whitish "D" every 20 minutes. Giardia is easily cured - about 10 tiny white pills - at $10 a pill - and it's gone. But giardia is so tiny, it can even pass through water treatment plants - as it did a few years ago in the Chicago area. I've had IBS "D" most of my life and it seems to be getting worse. The giardia pills did nothing for the IBS, unfortunately. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts