Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS 12 years ago after the doctors not finding any other diagnosis for me. They did not, however, ever test for hypo-hyper glycemia. I have never had the "typical" IBS symptoms. I have constipation, not diarrhea. I get the shakes, chills, nausea, dizzyness, etc. I don't hear of that with other people. My colon looked perfect when they looked at it. (Which may normal for IBS I'm not sure)My question is this. I have been looking for other diseases which could explain my problems. I have always felt they just said IBS and shoved drugs at me becuase they didn't know what else to do.Now I'm reading and researching and I've found manay possibilities. I've heard that Celiac disease is common in Europe and they test for it in all children. We don't. This is apparently a sensitivity to Gluten in Wheat products. I am a carbohydrate addict. I live on carbohydrates.I've also found that my symptoms are in line with hypoglycemia. How come no doctor ever said this I'm not sure. Perhaps my episodes are actually low blood sugar. I have to eat every few hours or I feel terrible. I am tired, forgetful, I've developed vertigo over the past several years and it keeps getting worse. No one has ever said...those are symptoms of hypoglycemia.So I'm wondering if my symptoms do or do not follow the symptoms of IBS. Is it more likely that I have hypoglycemia or Celiac disease rather than IBS?Do IBS sufferers have problems processing carbohydrates? The more I read, study and learn the more I realize that I am eating too many carbs and they could very well be my problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IBS includes BOTH constipation AND diarrhea.Being constipation predominate doesn't alter that.Celiac's tend to have more diarrhea than constipation. Anemia is common with Celiac as well because of the damage to the small intestine.Some IBSers get the other symptoms you describe especially when they have a painful flare up or difficult bowel movement.The colon SHOULD look perfectly normal with IBS.Usually how carbohydrates effect IBS is that most complex carbs are not fully digested by us so the bacteria in the gut use them and produce gas from the fermentation (probiotic bacteria do not produce gas from digesting carbohydrates). Many people with IBS do not tolerate gas well, even normal levels of gas (get painful spasms, noises, etc).Hypoglycemia was a popular diagnosis for the "worried well" a while back. While it does occure it is not nearly as common as some people proposed it was. Some people still promote this as an explaination for many symptoms.If you are concerned about it talk to your doctor, or get a second opinion.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.