Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone!First of all, sorry this is so long. I'm trying not to leave anything out.
I know that you are not doctors, but most of you are confirmed sufferers of IBS and I thought I would see how my symptoms compare to yours. I am a 29 year old female and have been having issues with my gut for several years now. It really got bad enough for me to take notice in 2007 when I was pregnant with my second child, although it did happen a couple of times with my first pregnancy as well in 2005. Anyway, I would have these episodes shortly after eating where I would get really terrible abdominal cramping followed by diarrhea and vomiting. It would last several hours, during which I was mostly confined to the bathroom. I asked my OB about it, and he said it was probably just hormones affecting transit of food through my gut. Made sense to me. But after pregnancy #2 it didn't stop. I have had these issues ever since, only difference is I don't always vomit like I did when I was pregnant. The vomiting always seems to happen if I can't get it out the other end quick enough, yuck, I know TMI. Also, if I am out and this happens and can't get to a bathroom immediately, I will start to get lightheaded and see black spots. I also feel fairly frequently that my guts are "on alert." I don't know a better way to describe it - it's not pain per se, but just a feeling like, "hey be forewarned this could get worse." Well in March, I had one of these episodes and ended up passing out in a public restroom waiting for the toilet, so finally I am getting checked out by a doctor. I was always worried about what they'd do to me, but after that fainting bit I knew I needed medical attention. So I went to a GP, who referred me to a GI b/c I mentioned that towards the end of the episodes, the diarrhea is usually colored reddish. Didn't know if that was blood or not, but she figured it best to refer me. She also checked out my gallbladder, which appears to be fine. The GI has done a colonoscopy which was normal and some bloodwork through Prometheus Labs - their Celiac Test and also their IBD Serology 7. Celiac bloodwork was normal, but the IBD serology was positive for Crohn's. Yikes, so he ordered a capsule endoscopy which I had done this past Monday and as he is out of town until either tomorrow or sometime next week so I'm still looking at probably a week before I hear one way or another. He told me IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so he had to rule out Celiac and Crohn's based on the symptoms I was reporting. Still working on the Crohn's part. I've been reading a lot about those tests and it seems like the jury is out on them. I do know though that a false positive is less likely than a false negative. So I have been hanging out over on the Crohn's forum, and, wow, those are some great people. It's a shame they're so sick. I just have a hard time with thinking this could even possibly be IBD, although my GI did say that there's a spectrum with Crohn's - some people present mild and some really severe. I've always assumed it was IBS. I've never been able to pinpoint any foods that aggravate my symptoms. I'm not a stressed person really either, so it doesn't seem to correspond with anything. Just out of the blue. And sometimes a bunch in a row, and then months with nothing. How do your symptoms compare with yours? Any thoughts are appreciated. May

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fainting is probably vaso-vagal. Abdominal pain and having a BM can trigger the vagus nerve and it will drop your blood pressure and you pass out. A lot of people never get all the way to a full faint but it is all the same thing.Really wait until after the capsule endoscopy. Crohn's often hides out in the small intestine and if any of the markers twigged it really is a good idea (even if they are not 100% totally perfect, but no medical test is completely error free) to do the camera capsule to make sure the small intestine is clear before going ahead and treating just for IBS.Some people have IBS every single day, others have periods of normal. Lots of things can trigger IBS, so it could be a physical stressor that is neither food nor emotional stress. Heck could be a pollen you are allergic to, or certain kinds of weather, or periods of time when you don't get as much sleep as you need, or you are doing just a little too much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, waiting for test results is just so hard sometimes. Just figured I would see what confirmed IBSers had to say on the matter. Thanks! Read your story - hope you continue to have success with IBS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.