Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had symptoms (frequent stools, the runs, gas, and abdominal discomfort) for about 2 weeks now. At first my doctor said it was some virus and said I should go on all liquid diet and then very light foods with no dairy or fruits and veggies. That did not work either. I went to a GI doctor who said I should give it time. My stool sample was negative so today I had a colonoscopy which also showed nothing. He did take two samples...one to biopsy for infection and one to test for Crohn's disease. He has not come up with any diagnosis and he told me I should use Immodium for the runs until the lab results return. He said it could be IBS but wasn't sure yet. It's not like I am running to the bathroom all the time but when I do it is very loose or watery. Can anyone offer advice as this is becoming tiring and so far I have lost 10 pounds mainly from being on liquids and a very light diet. I do have an appetite but sometimes have a full feeling right after eating. Do I give it more time? Can it be a virus only? HELP!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds alot like IBS, the Immodium should help you out, i have to take it about twice a week. Also try a heatingpad on you back helps relax. Try the web site below has helped me alot with foods, etc. Bless you, take care..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds alot like IBS, the Immodium should help you out, i have to take it about twice a week. Also try a heatingpad on you back helps relax. Try the web site below has helped me alot with foods, etc. Bless you, take care..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It can take some time to get better from a virus (usually they run a couple of days to a week or so)The colon can be sensitive afterwards so sometimes things can be bothersome for awhile afterwards. GI infections can start IBS, but most people are back to normal after a virus/GI infection in 4-6 weeks.If the Imodium helps I would start going back to normal food to keep your energy up and speed healing. Keep to blander foods (BRAT diet often helps a lot in the transition stage Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) And you might want to add some lean protien.At some point I think the not eating doesn't help you as you don't have the nutrition you need to heal.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It can take some time to get better from a virus (usually they run a couple of days to a week or so)The colon can be sensitive afterwards so sometimes things can be bothersome for awhile afterwards. GI infections can start IBS, but most people are back to normal after a virus/GI infection in 4-6 weeks.If the Imodium helps I would start going back to normal food to keep your energy up and speed healing. Keep to blander foods (BRAT diet often helps a lot in the transition stage Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) And you might want to add some lean protien.At some point I think the not eating doesn't help you as you don't have the nutrition you need to heal.K.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If there is any possiblity it is caused by stress/anxiety, you might want to visit a psychiatrist and see if anti-anxiety meds will work. I had daily multiple D for six months and when I took Xanax (I had a few at home) it stopped the D. Just another avenue to consider.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If there is any possiblity it is caused by stress/anxiety, you might want to visit a psychiatrist and see if anti-anxiety meds will work. I had daily multiple D for six months and when I took Xanax (I had a few at home) it stopped the D. Just another avenue to consider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. If I had a GI virus or infection wouldn't it have shown in my stool samples or wouldn't the GI doctor see it during my colonoscopy? I'll have to try the BRAT diet. Isn't it harmful to continue Immodium for a period of time? I'd hate to have the D turn into C. Any views?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. If I had a GI virus or infection wouldn't it have shown in my stool samples or wouldn't the GI doctor see it during my colonoscopy? I'll have to try the BRAT diet. Isn't it harmful to continue Immodium for a period of time? I'd hate to have the D turn into C. Any views?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think its pretty safe to take immodium as needed, even for long periods of time. A stool culture would show stuff like c.dif, parasites, samonella and things like that. I dont think a gi bug or infection could be detected in a stool sample but I'm not positive. Your colonoscopy would show inflammation if you had any but I dont think infection. Go real slow with fatty food and avoid milk products. After I get a stomach virus it takes a long time for it to calm down and I find that I am very sensitive to foods during that time. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think its pretty safe to take immodium as needed, even for long periods of time. A stool culture would show stuff like c.dif, parasites, samonella and things like that. I dont think a gi bug or infection could be detected in a stool sample but I'm not positive. Your colonoscopy would show inflammation if you had any but I dont think infection. Go real slow with fatty food and avoid milk products. After I get a stomach virus it takes a long time for it to calm down and I find that I am very sensitive to foods during that time. Hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My GI guy prescribed Pamine Forte and while I'm not sure they eased any symptoms, they did dry me up (dry mouth) and actually stopped me from urinating. I did not take it last night and all of a sudden I have been running to urinate often. I wonder if taking a drug that stops you from urinating can be that good for you. I would think the bloating would be increased from not urinating. Another question here for the folks: If my colon looked fine to my GI doctor why would he take two samples still to biopsy? He said he wanted to check for infection and also see if there is inflamation (though he said he did not see any during the procedure). I seem to get more info here than from my own docotr and GI doctor. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My GI guy prescribed Pamine Forte and while I'm not sure they eased any symptoms, they did dry me up (dry mouth) and actually stopped me from urinating. I did not take it last night and all of a sudden I have been running to urinate often. I wonder if taking a drug that stops you from urinating can be that good for you. I would think the bloating would be increased from not urinating. Another question here for the folks: If my colon looked fine to my GI doctor why would he take two samples still to biopsy? He said he wanted to check for infection and also see if there is inflamation (though he said he did not see any during the procedure). I seem to get more info here than from my own docotr and GI doctor. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had a colonoscopy about 3 months ago...it took me forever to get one tho...its tough trying to find a peds GI! lol. But anyway, my GI saw nothing and he took two biopsies too. They usually take the biopsies just to make sure there isnt anything wrong. Mine came out negative. Feel better!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had a colonoscopy about 3 months ago...it took me forever to get one tho...its tough trying to find a peds GI! lol. But anyway, my GI saw nothing and he took two biopsies too. They usually take the biopsies just to make sure there isnt anything wrong. Mine came out negative. Feel better!!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
helpnow-I think its standard to do biopsies when the docs are "there".It can take almost a week to get the results. Just curious where in norhteast do you live and what dr/facility do you go to? Alot of DR's, even GI's "dont get it". Mine do so if you live nearby (Boston) and ever need another opinion I highly reccommend where I go.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
helpnow-I think its standard to do biopsies when the docs are "there".It can take almost a week to get the results. Just curious where in norhteast do you live and what dr/facility do you go to? Alot of DR's, even GI's "dont get it". Mine do so if you live nearby (Boston) and ever need another opinion I highly reccommend where I go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm on Long Island here. Thi si the first GI doctor I have tried but I am now only 2 weeks into my symptoms so I am not sure if it is IBS because that has not been mentioned yet by the doctor. So who knows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm on Long Island here. Thi si the first GI doctor I have tried but I am now only 2 weeks into my symptoms so I am not sure if it is IBS because that has not been mentioned yet by the doctor. So who knows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.