Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have posted here a couple of times during the past few weeks, I have been to my doctors regarding stomache pain for nearly 2 months he said it is IBS I even went to A & E they said the same, but now worried as I read an article at week-end where many people are being told they have IBS and sent home when later these women were to have been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer any advice??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does your bloating come and go or is it 24/7 all the time and came on suddenly and just never went away.While IBS and OC share a few symptoms, they have a different pattern. IBS tends to come and go (even if it is worse after meals when the colon is more active). The symptoms also tend to vary more intensity wise.Ovarian cancer (or cysts, they cause symptoms, too) tends to suddenly cause symptoms that do not let up. After all unlike the colon that has periods of activity and periods of rest the cancer is going to be pretty much the same all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen I seem to have bloating most of the time and gained weight, the abdominal pain comes and goes during the day and night, but having said that I had no pain last Saturday or Sunday I just don't know who to believe anymore and I am worried.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
mtbc - I am an ovarian cancer survivor, Stage III. I am also an ibs sufferer. The symptoms of OC are quite different from ibs - you get no cramping or stomach pains, your bowels are not affected, in fact there are very few symptoms that you could point to, just a vague feeling of being unwell.ibs is bowel related, sharp cramps in the stomach, either diarrhoea or constipation, and other related symptoms.I really don't think you have OC, but there is a blood test called CA125 which will show whether you have it, why don't you ask to have it done, just to put your mind at ease.All the bestEve

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The CA125 test can be useful, but it can be elevated by several other conditions other than cancer so there needs to be a lot of follow up when it is elevated. That is why they don't do it routinely on most women as too many who have something harmless that isn't bothering them will have to undergo a lot of testing they do not need to sort it out.I'm not saying don't do it, but be aware it isn't all that specific for cancer. IBS is very common and ovarian cancer is relatively rare so there can be a few misdiagnosis but the vast majority of IBS is because it is IBS. If the original poster tends to health anxiety they may need to be careful about how much testing they insist on and make sure they aren't making the anxiety worse. Sometimes the more tests you have the more anxious you get even when all of them are normal, and if you get enough tests long enough one of them will come back with an abnormal number eventually Every lab test has an error rate, and the normal range excludes a few healthy people who run just a little high or low on any given test. I've got one test that runs low but isn't in the clinically relevant range, so it can happen to anyone. A certain amount of "what is this" worry is normal, but we do seem to get a lot of people with some health anxiety issues here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Peaches & Kathleen,I was sent for a ca 125 blood test last friday not sure how long I will wait for results also I am waiting on an ultrasound appointment, still frightetned that I have something other than IBS as I do not have any of the BM problems??? thanks for your advice.mtbc

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is not the only functional bowel problem.There is functional bloating and chronic functional abdominal pain. But with totally normal stools doing some tests on the reproductive system is reasonable to make sure it is GI and not something else. Ovarian cysts often cause a lot of symptoms and other than they cause symptoms they aren't really dangerous. The ultrasound will rule that in or out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,My CA 125 Blood Test came back negative I am so relieved, I am still concernde as to the stomache pain which is with me for 80% of the day and night yet no other IBS symptoms is it me or are all 3 doctors that I have seen wrong???thank you for reading this.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you have abdominal pain ONLY and no changes at all in stool frequency or consistency it can still be a functional bowel problem. If it makes you feel better to call it Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain rather than IBS you can. However the only real difference is CFAP is like functional diarrhea or functional constipation in that you only have one part of the set of symptoms of IBS and not all of them.However it doesn't make much difference in treatment as the functional pain of CFAP is treated the same way as the functional pain of IBS just like the diarrhea of functional diarrhea is treated the same way as the diarrhea of IBS.Researchers have divided out all the different ways the symptoms present as different functional bowel diseases. A lot of clinic doctors just call all of them IBS even if they may technically be related overlapping disorders.http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B_EXTR...6659195879.html has some info if you want to read about it and see if it fits better than IBS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kathleen,Your reply is great and I must admit it makes a lot more sense to me than IBS, I did not know of this problem before thank you for replying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello MTCBI just read the thread that came from your question...great responses and I was glad to read the link via the Mayo Clinic red ovarian cancer.I don't think I am alone when I say that IBS sufferers tend to worry about "I wonder if its really cancer"...
So don't feel alone!Sometimes I have bloating for days...and it usually is triggered by these things:1) an unsual amount of stress or high emotion due to 'whatever'2) eating too much stuff made from wheat flour OR even drinking too much coffee3) days when I am too dormant and do not do enough walkingAND!!...then there are times when I can't pinpoint a reason!
I do know that my emotional state has a HUGE impact on my IBS...the kind of problems that we tend to 'hold in'... and then they 'bloat'...These are times we tend to claim that 'nothing is bothering me.' But we can't fool our bodies.I have a feeling that you might be able to relate to at least some of the things I've mentioned.Don't forget that IBS sometimes thinks up its own 'creative symptoms!
Best wishes to you!Betts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts