Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of Post Infectious symptoms that mimic IBS?I was diagnosed with IBS a year ago after recovering from a Pneumonia (5 weeks on antibiotics). I underwent a full Colonoscopy, Gastro and Ultrasound. No organic problems were found. I experience primarily IBS-C symptoms and with propper diet IBS-D was occasionalRecently I went to a new doctor, who suspected it was a bad bacterial overgrowth. I took ANTOX (ciprofloxacin) for 5 days. After that the C and D symptoms had disappeared, but the abdominal pain is worst.My question is, has anyone experienced or heard a case like this were IBS was caused by bacteria and if so, is it normal that the pain remains still after antibiotic treatment?My doctor says it is a Post Infectious symptom and that the pain should eventually go away, but regarding IBS I got used to trust doctors only 50% (not that I intend to know better than them).Any ideas, comments or anything will help me a lot, even if they only serve as comfort. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Contracted IBS, after treatment for the H-P Bacteria(helico.com - very informative). Resolved my IBS problems taking:2/3 times the regular doses ofAloe Vera Gel - non laxative-soothes intestinesAcidophilus - good bacteria Above can be purchased over the netExercise/diet very important - criticalReducd dosage to normal amount after about a month recently addedslippery elm to compliment the aboveHope this helps.Bill

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When they go over the hospital records in places like England where you can go through them like this they find that after a GI infection like food poisoning people are something like 4-20X more likely to get IBS than a matched set of controls.Post-Infections IBS is well known. It is common for people's colons to be a bit sensitive for a few weeks to start with, but some people do not heal up from the damage the inflamation in the gut causes and that can be a source.Some people seem to get IBS symptoms after lots of antibiotics and need to be tested for Clostridium difficile if it is post antibiotics, especially if you have worsening diarrhea after you stop taking antibiotics.Some people seem to get a set of normal colon bacteria after antibiotics that doesn't work as well with them (produce more gas for instance) and some people find probiotics helps with that.Here are two examples of a reseach papers investigating Post-Infectious IBS http://gut.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/52/4/523 http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1...5.t01-5-41461.xK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.