Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll take any and all advice I can get. I'm a 38 year old female, and for the last few years I have been plagued with terrible gas. It's a daily problem, which as a teacher, I find extremely difficult to deal with. It is very smelly, and I have no problem smelling it myself, so I'm sure others do, too. I don't have much problem with D or C. A little constipated at times, but really no unusual D. I also find that my stomach becomes extremely painful if I let it become empty. So, is this IBS or could it be something else, duodenal ulcers, for example?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I serverly suffer from the same symtoms. It have really become a problem for me..I have to live my life around fasting during the day sometimes to avoid embarrassing situations when i have to be around people. The situation worsend when I became pregnant 11 weeks ago. I wentto the doctor and he found me to be Helicobactor Pylori positive....It is an infection the effects the lining of the stomach and in a very big cause of the ulcers you decribed,,,I'm learning more about it myself as I can't yet be treated because of early pregnancy...however I know exactly how you feel......My family is forever teasing me.......I don't know where to hide sometimes. I'll be reading your responses to learn something myself

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi maryb and darla:I just wanted to welcome you both to the Board. I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your problems, I wish I did.mary, I'm wondering what tests you have had done so far?darla, that must be hard not to be able to be treated because of the pregnancy. Is there anything at all you can do?JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support. I had an upper GI and ultrasound done a few years ago for some other problems, but nothing in reference to this gassy problem of mine. I know it's time to go see someone about this. Am just now getting as much info as possible so I can go to my family dr. well-armed with questions and ideas. Am planning on making appt. in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Good luck, Mary. There's a lot of information here and on some of the other IBS websites. Hopefully your doctor will agree to do a colonoscopy as one of your tests. Keep us posted, and let us know when your appointment is. JeanG

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Maryb, I have the same gas problem too, but I don't have suggestions for you. Just wanted to say welcome and you'll find alot of good advice here.Darla, I just read your post and emailed you. We have alot in common. (not the pregnancy part, though)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had no dairy products today (pretty rough, being from Wisconsin) and noticed a significant improvement. Now I've tried that before with no results, so I'm a bit surprised. I also picked up some ginger tablets and have taken a couple doses, so that might be helping some. I will continue to research this, though, and will pursue a diagnosis. The worst part is the embarassment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi MaryBI can relate 100% to what you are saying and I have recently started to pull together all of the research I can find on the subject of SULPHATE REDUCING BACTERIA which are the cause of the odour. The odour is much worse if you provide the bacteria with a good supply of sulphurous compounds. These are mainly from 2 sources:1). Meat & other foods high in protein - these release sulphur-amino acids as they are digested. Particular foods to avoid are red meat and eggs.2). Sulphur additives in food & drink - Sulphur dioxide, Sulphites, Bisulphites, Metabisulphites, & sulphates know in Europe by E-codes E220 - E227. This is the 2nd major source of sulphur in our diet. They are most likely found in soft drinks, wines, beers, ciders, jam, sausages, dried raisins, instant soup & other processed foods.If you have an important meeting or event you could try Pepto-bismol for a few days beforehand. This has been shown to significantly reduce the odour but you should not really take it for more than 7 days in any 4 week period.Chlorophyll tablets & green tea have also been stated as reducing odour. I am not, however aware of the theory behind this. Hope this helps

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi! I am IBS-C and have a gas problem. I am also a teacher and am very embarassed when the children notice a "smell". I have tried to find out my trigger foods. I can not eat many fruits or vegetables. Chicken and potatoes also cause terrible smells. I know somebody posted about beer, beer alone does not cause gassy smells with me. GAS rules my life. I am very skinny due to "fasting" and not eating as I should.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
maryb,I have found quit a few (mostly women) on these boards with the same problem. Not much pain, Mostly just the awful smell. I found that I can controll the amount of gas by cutting out carbs, but the darm smell just keeps coming.I am using relaxation tapes to see if that will help any http://www.broadcast.com/video/listenpages/re/4433/ Here is one you can try, it is free, Eric posted this awhile back. Hope it helps------------------Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..

·
Registered
781 Posts
http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005821.html Check out this post..also I posted recently about my recovering from this..as did TomInAtlantaI too am very thin for the same reasons, but I have learned from hypnotherapy and from others on this board that positive thought is very important in digestion. There are lots of us with this problem...Cutting out food is not an option...you need to find out your trigger foods which for me are dairy, wheat and corn although I can tolerate these in small amounts especially if I'm feeling good! Any undigested food can give you an odour or gas...even protein.. I find that even if I have mild C I get an odour... Now I'm feeling better due mostly to lifestyle changes and an improved self esteem.Best wishes..remember youa re not alone!Jane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maryb...IBS can be very confussing but to get a diagnoses you have to have the tests that rule everything else out that may be your problem. Find a good internist and have the tests run. To treat IBS with out the tests would be like shooting in the dark. Most of us have suspected IBS all along but Drs. will listen to you till you have the tests. Also read Eric's post about the US News and World report on IBS posted this morning. It is very interesting.Hange in there, I've had IBS since a teen but then they called it nervous stomach or spastic colon. I'm 64 now and was only diagnosed just about 12 years ago after having tests. You will find alot of support here. also you will find a lot of Drs. that that just don't have it because they were never trained to regonize IBS. If they say it is in your head find your self another DR. I'm on Lotronex a newly released drug but it is a help not a cure. As of now there are no cures for this. It is not life threating but debilitating to say the leastmj

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went to a homeopath a couple of years ago, and he was very helpful in helping me figure out which foods I should avoid. For me the problems are dairy, pork, and anything deep fried. High fat contents are a problem too. I don't know if you have tried cutting out foods (other than dairy), but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adding to the above suggestions... get tested for lactose, fructose, sorbitol and glucose intolerance. They often come as a "bonus" to IBS and all four have "gas" as symptoms. I am sorbitol and fructose intolerant. Just chewing gum (sorbitol) would get me bloated (but no smell). The smelly gas come from fructose food - apple, pears, etc. Plus, part of the IBS usual routine. No fruits for me please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, but this is so depressing. Just the thought of cutting out fruits and veggies truly makes me sad. I'd rather give up chocolate. I'm still restricting most dairy products, but it's difficult since a lot of our diet here at home revolves around cheese and others. I think I'll be okay with a small amount of cheese tonight. I am still quite a bit better with the ginger tabs and the limited lactose. Due to insurance reasons, I'm waiting until April to puruse a diagnosis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used Bean-O with some success. Always thought it was something people bought as a joke for their gassy friends! Has anyone ever monitored how FAST they eat. As I think about it, I'm a gobbler! It obviously takes a lot more effort to digest food that has been gobbled. Will try to chew more slowly, although with a limited lunch time at school, that's difficult. CANNOT skip meals due to migraines triggered by low blood sugar!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bean-o and acidopholus (sp?!) have been a big hit with me AND with my brother. I haven't had a full "rule out other diseases" IBS diagnosis but the gas has been a "family" trait! Bean-o with just about *every* food - one or half of one with my toast(!) really cut down my problem. I have the odor and - well - (blush) sound. (Rattle the windows!)Lactaid pills or Dairy Ease with the milk products could help you too. The problem there is that I fear constipation. Have others found that the dairy helpers constipate? I just cut out dairy now since I moved from just flatulance to diarrea with anything dairy.Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts